Driving the Connor Pass in Dingle

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be staying 3 nights in Dingle, coming from Ennis. My question is whether there is any advantage to hitting the Connor Pass on the way into Dingle town, or touring the Connor Pass on our more relaxing second day on the penninsula. I'm a chicken driver, so which way would be the least scary?
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:00 AM

Do it on the second day and make a whole day of a trip around the penninsula which is a wonderful drive. There are alot of sites to stop and visit along with some very nice country pottery shops. When in Dingle take a walk to the upper part of town. There are some nice Pubs that the locals hang out in and some nice restaraunts. Connor pass and Healy Pass are best done when well rested.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 08:31 AM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Johnod. Do it the second day and drive the entire peninsula. Numerous stops along the way are worthwhile - Dunberg Fort, the beehive huts. Lunch at a gift shop at Slea Head was a highlight of the day. Nothing fancy, but outdoor tables (if the weather is nice!) with a fabulous view. Shortly past the gift shop (if you're going counter-clockwise around the peninsula) is a beach that's also well worth a stop. And the Connor Pass was the other highlight of the day. It was gorgeous. The road was something else! Fortunately we didn't encounter too much traffic and people drove slowly, so it was manageable. At the top was the windiest spot I think I've ever experienced. My friend was sure I was going to be blown away (I'm rather small). It was wild. You'll have a great time - but I do think you'll enjoy it more if you wait til your second day. Have fun!
Karen
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:07 AM

Once you are in Dingle, driving the Connor Pass on the way to do the Slea Head drive, you would be going in the opposite direction. There are basically two ways into Dingle -- the Southern route, or the Northern route via Castlegregory/Connor Pass.

Do the Connor Pass on your way into Dingle. You will be driving on the left-hand side going up. Take it slow -- it's a "piece of cake."
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:44 PM

Driving Connor Pass road from north to south (into Dingle town) means that you are on the inside part of the road away from the cliff edge. Driving from Dingle town north toward Stradbally means you are on the outside of the road on the cliff side.

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 12:55 PM

I am the biggest weenie driver there is, and drove the Conner pass south to north. It was a little scary but really not bad. If I can do it, anyone can do it!