COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

eurostar from paris to london

Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 11:38 AM
Zvi
Original Poster

eurostar from paris to london

Hello!

Next mount I'm going to Paris for few days and I will visit London for one day. I booked a ticket for the Eurostar and in the confirmation it says arrive 60-45 minutes before. I recently watched on youtube a 17 minutes report on someone's similar trip. So it seems that the lines are quite long at the entrance then at the security check and the passport control. Do you think arriving at the station an hour before the train leaves is enough or should I arrive earlier? My train is in the morning and the next morning I will go back to Paris. Also, do the trains leave on time or there are delays?

the purpose of my visit to London is the Van Gogh exhibition at the Tate Gallery? Has anyone visited it and can share an opinion?

Thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 02:13 PM

If you go thru the gates within the time limit recommended I think they board everyone who does - if late you could get in too or maybe not. I'd get to station earlier than required and find the Eurostar entrance and all - can be confusing if coming via metro to Gare du Nord.

Eurostar trains leave mainly on time but there currently has been occasional strikes of French Customs workers due to Brexit fall out and many trains have been cancelled - just pay attention to what current situation is - and strikes have been a few for a few days - unlikely to affect you.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 02:20 PM

I have only taken the train once from Paris to London, January 2018. I arrived more than an hour early and was VERY worried I wouldn't make it onto the train before it left. It was a zoo! If I were to do it again, I'd arrive two hours early based on my one experience. Hopefully others with more trips will chime in.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 03:44 PM

We've caught the Eurostar a fair bit and usually it's been on time but there can be delays. There had been a fire in the tunnel once and that delayed all the subsequent trips. We travelled on Eurostar last year from London and the queues were astonishingly long. You could see everyone's faces as they caught sight of the queue, like 'what the hell?'. It took a while to queue, then go through security but once in the hall we didn't wait long and the train left on time. You also go through two sets of immigration control, French and British, one after the other (after security from memory). If it was me, I'd arrive earlier for peace of mind.

I don't know about the Tate exhibition but it might be wise to book tickets ahead as some things get booked out.

Kay
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 06:40 PM

Have done this route several times. Sometimes it was smooth sailing, other times there were daunting queues. I'd arrive no less than an hour prior to departure, longer if you do not already have your tickets printed out or on your phone. .
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 08:20 PM

Has anyone tried the "business premier" where they claim there is only a 10 minute check in?
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 08:27 PM

Business premier gets all sorts of perks, just like flying in Business/First -- expedited security is just one. You DO pay for it.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 09:26 PM

They do get people out of the queue if it gets close to boarding time. An hour is usually fine, but take an extra 15 minutes if you are worried.
I sometimes take Premier seats if the price difference is not too much. That gets you a bigger seat and a meal on board, but no lounge or priority boarding.
You only get that with Business Premier, but that is MUCH more expensive.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 10:36 PM

the purpose of my visit to London is the Van Gogh exhibition at the Tate Gallery? Has anyone visited it and can share an opinion?
A couple of things, and forgive me if you know all this already - apologies if it sounds like Iím treating you as an idiot:

Have you bought an exhibition ticket in advance? If not, I strongly suggest you do buy a timed ticket. Also there are two Tate galleries in London - the Van Gogh is at the Tate Britain, which is not the one most visitors think of as the Tate (the newer Tate Modern is the more famous building.)

Make sure youíre aware of the one-hour time difference between Paris & London and allow for that when making your plans (different currency too, but I guess you know that.)
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 11:03 PM
Zvi
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gyhtson View Post

A couple of things, and forgive me if you know all this already - apologies if it sounds like Iím treating you as an idiot:

Have you bought an exhibition ticket in advance? If not, I strongly suggest you do buy a timed ticket. Also there are two Tate galleries in London - the Van Gogh is at the Tate Britain, which is not the one most visitors think of as the Tate (the newer Tate Modern is the more famous building.)

Make sure youíre aware of the one-hour time difference between Paris & London and allow for that when making your plans (different currency too, but I guess you know that.)
Thank you for this. I know all of that (which Tate is presenting the exhibitihon, time zone and currency) and already booked a ticket for the museum.
Old Apr 23rd, 2019, 11:14 PM
Zvi
Original Poster

Thank you for all the answears!
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 01:47 AM

I’d allow two hours to be on the safe side. I was affected by a French customs strike two weekends ago. I walk with a stick and because of staff help. I got through in an hour. Other family members took two hours and said that it was utter chaos. They managed to get on the train, but it departed over 1/2 hour late.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 09:00 AM

I go to London about twice a year and have not yet ever spent more than 10 minutes going through the formalities. Then again, I have an EU passport. But I have never seen a monster crowd for the other passport holders either since I make a point of avoiding weekends and the middle of summer.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 09:55 AM

>> . . . at the Tate Britain, which is not the one most visitors think of as the Tate (the newer Tate Modern is the more famous building.) <<

That is not IME at all -- When people say (just) 'the Tate' they almost invariably mean Tate Britain - a few will say Tate Britain and once in a blue moon someone will even say Tate Millbank. When talking about the other . . . will almost always say 'Tate Modern' (I'm a member and visit both whenever I'm in London and that is my experience anyway)
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:34 AM

Still have those ropes in Tate Modern where you can go between main floor and basement?

Or was that just for a temporary exhibit last time I visited? (during reign of George VI when it was still a grim Thameside power plant?

Great view from Tate Modern's upper tea rooms!

Last edited by PalenQ; Apr 24th, 2019 at 10:37 AM.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:47 AM

>>Still have those ropes in Tate Modern where you can go between main floor and basement?<<

I suppose you mean the Slides??? That was 13 years ago and a temporary exhibition. LOTS has changed since then.
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 10:52 AM

Janis - thanks for answering. You're the best! I remember going thru the Tate Modern with a hard hat when it was transforming from power plant to art museum. Enough!
Old Apr 24th, 2019, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by janisj View Post
>> . . . at the Tate Britain, which is not the one most visitors think of as the Tate (the newer Tate Modern is the more famous building.) <<

That is not IME at all -- When people say (just) 'the Tate' they almost invariably mean Tate Britain - a few will say Tate Britain and once in a blue moon someone will even say Tate Millbank. When talking about the other . . . will almost always say 'Tate Modern' (I'm a member and visit both whenever I'm in London and that is my experience anyway)
I don't know, Janis. Not what the Londonist thinks with this (very funny) satire piece. I tend to relate to it...
https://londonist.com/london/comedy/...ounger-brother