Eurostar Flexibility

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:34 AM
Mavis

Eurostar Flexibility

Does anyone know if it's possible to purchase a return ticket on Eurostar from London to Paris, but on the return only go from Calais to Ashford? Thanks.

Apr 1st, 2002, 10:51 AM
Kathleen

Not sure that would work, as most of the trains are non-stop from London to Paris.

Apr 1st, 2002, 11:16 AM
Mavis

Kathleen - this may be a dumb question - but since I don't know the answer that's why I've come to this site. On the Eurostar schedule (on their website) it shows stops in Lille, Calais, Ashford, etc. I assumed it was for people to get off/on. Is that not correct?

Apr 1st, 2002, 11:47 AM
Kathleen

OUch-mia culpa. Excuse my ignorance. I just know that when I took it it went direct from London to Paris. Perhaps someone who knows the answer will speak up, and I'll keep my big mouth (keyboard) shut....

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:31 PM
janis

Eurostar is not non-stop - it does stop at Ashford and Calais. You can certainly get off early (Ashford) but I am not sure if they would let you get on at Calais (you probably can I'm but not sure). But why don't you just book the tickets for what you need? Don't use the Rail Europe web site - call them and ask about a return ticket with one leg shorter.

(Kathleen - maybe you slept through the stops but Eurostar definitely stops at both Calais and Asford)

Apr 1st, 2002, 12:38 PM
Kathleen

Sorry Janis, I didn't sleep through the stops--my train didn't stop at Calais, nor Ashford. HOwever, there are trains leaving from London about every 30 minutes, so I'm sure some of them do stop, just not every train.

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:03 PM
Susan

I think you are incorrect Kathleen. I have been on Eurostar more than 40 times and it always stopped in both Calais and Ashford. The stops were not long but it definitely stopped. I think if some stopped and some didn't it would mess up their schedule since the non-stops would overtake the ones that do stop.

Apr 1st, 2002, 01:19 PM
Cat

Sorry Ladies,
But the trains that leave Gare du Nord at 7, 10, 12 ,14, 15 and 17 o'clock are direct to London and do not stop at Calais or Ashford. Check the eurostar schedule if you doubt me.
I always take the direct train!

Apr 1st, 2002, 03:47 PM
JOdy

I've traveled direct from Paris to London with no stops at either calais or Ashford.. and I wasn't sleeping either.

It maybe possible to use your paris London return in calais..I have done it in England when I was traveling from Windermere and had to go to another station because of flooding.. They just exchanged the ticket with no problems. I'd check beforehand though

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:14 PM
Tony

Currently three Eurostars per day stop at Calais, leaving Calais at 0804, 1431, and 1734.

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:17 PM
Tony

Sorry, I should have mentioned in my last post, only the second two trains from Calais, stop at Ashford, the 0804 is non stop to London.

Apr 1st, 2002, 06:56 PM
Mavis

Thanks everyone for the help. And sorry Kathleen, I didn't mean to sound snippy.