Eurostar- booking questions

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For background, this is what I want to do: take the Eurostar from St Pancras to Brussels, and then a few days later from Paris back to St Pancras.

My first question is more of a computer-tech one...My computer defaults me to the Eurostar.com page. Prices are given in US dollars. I've read that sometimes prices are better on the UK site. I can't get on the UK site. Even if I type it into the address bar, it takes me to the US site. Is it possible for me to access the UK site and if so what do I need to do? Delete cookies or something like that? I'm clueless.

My second question is, is it possible to book "open jaws" roundtrip tickets? It looks like the US site won't let me do that- I'd have to book 2 one-way tickets which ends up costing about $40US more than roundtrip tickets to either Brussels or Paris. Maybe I'm out of luck on this one, but thought I'd ask in case I'm missing something.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:34 AM

AL, I am not sure why you can't get to the UK site. I am in Vancouver, and I typed in www.eurostar.co.uk . It did take me to eurostar.com, but when I did a London-Brussels search, it came back with prices in pounds.

What exact prices are you seeing? When I looked at a one-way ticket for London-Brussels just now, for a January date, I saw 51 pounds total.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:35 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
If you clear your cookies you should be able to get to the UK site.

I haven't done open jaw on the Eurostar so not sure is the UK site allows it. But if that doesn't work you can try the "buy R-T but only use one way" game.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:36 AM

Try the Firefox browser, and delete cookies, and see what happens.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 10:49 AM
Original Poster

Thanks ladies. It sounds like the US and UK prices are the same right now- I'm getting $101 US for one way London to Brussels (I'm in Toronto, don't know why I'm getting US prices when WillTravel is getting UK)

But, I'm going to try deleting cookies and see if I can get on the UK site anyways. It's too early for me to book right now (trip isn't until next May) but when it's time I'd like to compare prices.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 12:28 PM

There are two cookies for Eurostar. If you delete them then you'll get the homepage that gives you a direct choice of (in English) of United Kingdom, United States or Belgium as well as several other English language options from a drop down menu
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks alan. I just deleted all my cookies (there were about a gazillion of them) and now I can go on the UK site. Looks like it's not possible to book an open jaws ticket. Oh well. I'll just have to do 2 one-ways when the time comes.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 04:23 PM
yk

When's this trip, Apres? I'm jealous. I MISS London! (I'm in severe withdrawal...)
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Hey yk, not for a long time, sadly. May 2010. I'm in severe travel withdrawal, never mind London (I had to spend a weekend in upstate New York recently and that definitely doesn't count as a real trip- I think I'd rather kill myself than ever go back there)

Anyways, this trip will be a few days in Belgium, maybe 1 night in Paris to see POB do La Bayadere, then to England for a wedding with a few days in London at the end.

Originally after the wedding I was thinking of joining my parents on an excursion up to a <del>godforsaken</del> quaint village in Aberdeenshire but I don't think I can cut it. I'll stick with London and JDF
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Original Poster

I meant to ask- when are you going to Barcelona? (I think I read you were planning a trip there?)
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 05:49 PM
yk

Oh, you should try to catch Jose van Dam in Don Quixote in Brussels' La Monnaie: http://www.lamonnaie.be/demunt-1.0/p...on=introductie

I'm leaving for Barcelona next month. Going for a week.
Old Oct 25th, 2009, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Oh, right around the corner! That's great! I bet it will be a good time of year too, with fewer crowds etc. Have you been to Barcelona before?

I was thinking about getting tickets to Don Q, but the only day I could see it coincides with the day I'd be taking a daytrip to Bruges and I'm not sure I want to have to hurry back to make the performance. I'm still thinking about it though.