Search

European Winter Trip Loose Itinerary

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6th, 2019, 03:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
European Winter Trip Loose Itinerary

Hey all,
I have never been to Europe in the winter and am looking forward to seeing some of my favorite places with some holiday flair. I am searching for some feedback on how my current trip is setup. Any suggestions on where to eat in these cities would be welcome as well! I am just starting the planning and the travel stoke is very high so I hope to be active on the forums over the next few months. A little context : I am visiting my sister who lives in Eastern France for Christmas and then meeting with friends and doing some solo travel before and after the Christmas with family.

This is my very loose itinerary:
Dec 21-22 - London
Dec 23rd Travel Day
Dec 24-26 - Eastern France via Lyon
Dec 27th Travel Day
Dec 28-30 - Barcelona (leave as late as possible to Dublin)
Dec 31-Jan 2 - Dublin
Jan 3-4 - Amsterdam (could be removed)
Jan 5-6 Berlin
Jan 7-10 - Prague (leave Prague as late as possible on the 10th to Paris)
Jan 11 - Fly out of Paris (I have no desire to be in Paris beyond using the airport, I have explored Paris thoroughly)

Is this reasonable? Too hectic? I only labeled 2 true Travel Days as generally all the flights are fairly short in duration but those 2 days will involve flights + cars/trains to reach destinations. Foul language approved.

Thanks!
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 04:09 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
>>I have never been to Europe in the winter<<

Eight destinations in 20 days is a lot in the long. lovely days of summer. But in the deepest of winter -- one snow storm, one ice storm, one closed runway, one flooded rail line and your whole plan is shot out of the water. 1.5 days in London is just about a 'why bother' stop

Are there specific things you want to see/do in all these places or is this mainly a check list?
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 04:10 PM

. . . I kept it clean
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 05:10 PM
Original Poster

This is mainly a check list.
I am flying into London - plane ticket was practically free so since I've never been there and don't HAVE to be in France right away I figured why not just wander London for as long as possible. I understand that I am not getting the full experience.

The only things, as of now, that are "musts" on this list are Barcelona (I am meeting friends), Dublin and obviously France to visit my family member.

Amsterdam was an afterthought - I have been there twice and would love to see it in the winter. It is not necessary. I've also been to Prague but have friends there to that I could visit as well and I am looking at solid winter cities!

In your opinion, how many destinations is reasonable for a 20 day trip (in winter)?
Old Jun 6th, 2019, 05:27 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
I would skip Amsterdam and maybe give yourself a little extra time in one of your other cities. I love France at that time of year. If it snows be prepared, no one seems to own a shovel. Everything in Reims just stopped. We got really good flights from Munich to Dublin for NYE but will be there three nights. We were just talking about what we should do NYE. It is a little far out to figure out just now. Reservations for dinner and then not sure. We are staying by two theatres so hoping we get tickets for a play or performance.
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 02:54 AM

I, too, would skip Amsterdam. And while I don't actually know anything at all about Dublin over NYE, I'd be wondering if, other than NYE itself (when I assume there will be activities), anything at all will be happening. Seems a bit far to go, too, for what will amount to 2+ days, 2 of which almost certainly will not be great days for visiting sights, if that's what you have in mind.

In general, it would be bouncing around to too many places in too short a time for me, at a time of year when inclement weather is a distinct possibility and very short daylight ours is a certainty.

"No one seems to own a shovel." That cracked me up, Macross They do, but it's for dirt, not snow.
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 04:05 AM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
http://nyfdublin.com/ Wow, they have a lot and very close to where we are staying.
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 07:28 AM

I agree that you're not allowing yourself enough time at each stop - I'd cut Amsterdam and Berlin for those reasons. I've reconfigured your itinerary below, giving you more time/days in each of the cities except London (since it seems like you need to be in France by the 23rd? For me, this list still is a little too intense (I like more time in each place) but I think it's pretty doable now, at least.

If you have no desire to do Paris, I don't think it makes sense to fly out of there - unless you're flying IN to Paris and want a roundtrip ticket? I have you flying out of Prague. I'm a bit biased towards Prague, but it's beautiful in the winter and you'll likely really enjoy the adorable Christmas markets (that should still be up until the end of January).

Dec 21-22 - London
Dec 23rd Travel Day
Dec 24-27th - Eastern France via Lyon
Dec 28th Travel Day
Dec 29-2nd - Barcelona (leave as late as possible to Dublin)
Dec 3rd - Travel day
Dec 4-Jan 7 - Dublin
Jan 8 - Travel Day
Jan 9-11 Prague
Fly out of Prague
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 08:38 AM

Train info- www.bahn.de/en for schedules - www.seat61.com; BETS-European Rail Experts and www.ricksteves.com.

London-Lyon trains can be as quick about as flying - take Eurostar train to Lille-Europa and change to direct TGVs to Lyon.
Old Jun 7th, 2019, 02:26 PM

What parts of eastern France? That's rather a large area.
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 06:54 AM
Original Poster

I am new here so cannot post as often...I'll try to reply to all posts here...

Underhill I will be in a small village in the Jura Region. I believe it is called Menetru. I will be with family and will not be doing a whole ton of "sight seeing" or moving around.

janisj Macross Fleur_de_Lis StCirq Truly appreciate the feedback. I had not considered the shortened days. I have already adjusted much of my trip - though Dublin for NYE is kind of a high priority for a few members of my party. Amsterdam is out completely - that was easy, I've been to the lovely city twice and my travel buddy at that point would rather spend time in Ireland/Dublin anyway! The debate now comes down a bit to whether stick with Berlin or stay in the UK/Western region. Really, REALLY want to see Prague in the winter so will keep that on the back end even if it is shortened - again, I have been there and truly just want to experience the city in the winter as I have heard very good things and will be meeting up with some OTHER friends.
My flight from Paris is booked - if it is a similar price (and there is a decent flight home to Phoenix!) I will adjust it but otherwise I just have to work around it. Originally the flights out of Prague were EXTREMELY expensive and undesirable, I am working with Credit Card miles via American and I saved A TON of miles for future trips by going out of Paris as opposed to anywhere else. And flights into Paris via Prague are looking to be about $100 after baggage fees - as long as I plan ahead I think I will be OK! But I will look into it anyway. I'll share an updated itinerary once I adjust a couple more things and see if the pros approve. Also noticed that a few other threads are asking similar questions so I've subscribed to keep an eye on all that feedback too. Done Europe x2 and lots of traveling in the US and never used a Forum before! So far it feels like a good call to hop into the community.

If you have a favorite tapas spot in Barcelona, pub in Dublin or restaurant in London and have time to share or point me towards an older post of yours I would love to hear about them. I prefer a good mug of beer with fun conversation over anything that resembles a club; also like good cafes for mellow mornings with good people watching. Love historical museums; like art museums. Really enjoy European parks (i.e Vondelpark) but I understand that during the winter it will be a bit different
Destinations have been whittled down to - London (short), France, Barcelona, Dublin, possibly Berlin? and then Prague.

Thanks, everyone!
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 09:40 AM

But in the deepest of winter -- one snow storm, one ice storm, one closed runway, one flooded rail line and your whole plan is shot out of the water.>

So folks should not travel to those destinations in winter?

Trains rarely are cancelled - for lots on trains check www.seat61.com; www.ricksteves.com and BETS-European Rail Experts. flooded rail lines on Continent are rare and they put substitute buses on - that said leave room for such things - as unlikely as they would be. Train strikes present more of a threat all year. But OP will mainly be flying and airlines face disruptions at any time of year.
Old Jun 8th, 2019, 02:50 PM

>>So folks should not travel to those destinations in winter?<<

Did I say that? No, of course I didn't! BUT one should not build a complicated itinerary - in winter - that relies on pinpoint travel and lots of it. The more destinations/transfers the more chance of everything going pear shaped.

It seems the OP understood what I meant even if you didn't.
Old Jun 9th, 2019, 01:55 PM

I think it just depends where you really want to go most. I would have dropped either Dublin or Amsterdam. So you have dorpped Amsterdam, and so I think the rest of the schedule is do-able. Because Berlin to PRague is fairly easy by train. Three days in Prague is good, it seems you can then do 3 days in Berlin since you dropped Amsterdam. So the issue is getting from Dublin to Berlin? That's easy, both Ryanair and Aer Lingus fly nonstop at reasonable rates, take your pick. If they are the same price, I'd choose Aer Lingus.