european river cruise worth it?

May 10th, 2002, 01:02 PM
kk

european river cruise worth it?

wondering if anyone has ever taken the ms. deutchland river cruise amsterdam to basel. planning on staying 3 days london, then 2 day amsterdam and then the cruise?
would greatly appreciate any feedback re: Rhine river cruises.

happy trails

May 10th, 2002, 04:45 PM
don

kk- Don't miss a Rhine river cruise. We took one last spring- it was great! Beautiful scenery and friendly people.

May 10th, 2002, 07:45 PM
Suzie

I did a Rhine/Mosel river cruise about 10 years ago on a small Dutch boat (at least smaller than the bigger German line) - and absolutely loved it. Was a week, and stopped at lots of beautiful little towns. I was travelling solo, and everyone was so friendly and fun. There was only one American couple along, the rest were British or Dutch. The English and Scots couples were great fun, as was the Dutch crew. I can't remember the name of the line, but would love to do it again. This cruise began and ended in Cologne, and afterward I took train to Amsterdam for a few days. Highly recommended!

May 10th, 2002, 07:59 PM
jenna

Great! We'll just have to figure out what ship out of hundreds you're recommending! LOL!!!!!

May 12th, 2002, 08:18 AM
KAIDE

jenna

PLEASE GET BENT! KEEP YOUR INANE COMMENTS TO YOURSELF
YOU KNOW PEOPLE WHO POST ON THIS BOARD ARE ONLY HUMAN.
THERE ARE NUMEROUS OTHERS WHO WILL GLADLY GIVE PERTINENT ADVICE.

May 12th, 2002, 10:08 PM
toa

well, kk,
anyone who wonders if anyone have ever taken the ms deutschland ... hm? do you think this sip is going ampty all the time till YOU came. also the question "is it worth" is on top of the list "stupid question of the year".

May 17th, 2002, 07:55 AM
anon

yes

May 17th, 2002, 12:30 PM
Lanny

Hi:

I have done three river cruises in the past 6 years. One was 7-days down the Danube, from Nurnberg to Budapest, one was in France, 7 days from Lyon to Avignon, and one was 14 days, done last Aug./September from Amsterdam down the Rhine, across the Main and Danube canal to the Danube, and then down to Budapest. The Rhine is ugly for the first couple of days as you go through the industrial heartland of the low coutries, but improves as you settle in to Germany from Frankfurt south. The castled area of the Rhine is gorgeous but it is over in the course of an afternoon but there are compensations: lovely villages to stop in along the way. The trip in France took far too much time to cover far too little territory. The Danube remains my favourite. It is enchanting and the stops which include places like Passau, Vienna, Durnstein, Bratislava or Ezstergom and Budapest, is unforgettable.

Drop me an e-mail if you would seriously like more information.

May 17th, 2002, 12:55 PM
Grasshopper

I took a cruise last year from Basel to Amsterdam (sounds like the reverse of your trip). I think it was 11 days with stops in Strausbourg, Heidelberg, Koblense, Koln, Brussels, Brugge, Antwerp, Dordrecht, Kinderdijk and maybe a couple others I left out. We were on the HS Helvetia. The crew and staff were very nice. The food was fine. It was very relaxing to cruise along for hours in the lounge and watch the world go by. The weather wasn't great (we went in September) so we didn't spend much time on the sundeck. The other passengers were mostly older, retired types. About 10% of the passengers were under 60 years old. The cabins were tiny. The tours were fast and kept you moving with tiny bits of time on your own in port. That was the most frustrating aspect for me. I'm used to independent travel and we didn't get to do anything in any of our stops like just sit in a cafe and watch the activities of the city. Or experience the locals or life. I missed that a lot. But there is definately a comradre that exists amoungst the passengers and some even email me from time to time. In summary, I am glad that I did it once. But it wouldn't become my primary style of travel.

May 18th, 2002, 10:44 PM
Kevin

I took the exact river tour you plan to take on the Deutchland (to the earlier responder, that is the name of a boat as well as a country).. Good tour for the most part. I went with my in-laws, who are older and like that type of trip. I found it confining. My wife and I also brought our two children who met two German girls they have remained fast friends with (they were the only 4 kids on the boat). Food was great. It is really more Austrian (variety) than German.

I kept looking at the shore thinking that I'd rather be sitting in the beer garden on shore watching the boat go by. I found out I'm not a cruise boat person.

The first part of the trip (2 days) goes through the industrial center of the Rhine area. A lot of HUGE factories. I spent a fair amount of time with my father in law on deck, pretending to be as interested as he was in factory architecture and how they manage to offload coal from river ships. Since the river is dyked, you see a lot of embankments in this section. You can also see some WW II bomb damage in portions of the plants that are abandoned. The only place I've seen it in western Europe. This section does have the ruined bridge at Remmagen. I like history, so that was impressive to me. It gave me a lot of respect for the Allied soldiers who tried to cross the river.

After that portion of the trip we hit the part where you see all the pictures, castles, vineyards and some of the most incredible views anywhere (middle and upper Rhine). The castle section is some of the most beautiful contry I've ever seen.

If I were to do it again, I'd find a way to cruise just the middle/upper section and spend the extra time visiting castles and little towns in the area (and watch the boats go by).

The only reason I can see for the tours to start in Amsterdam is to extend the trip out longer and access more International airports for travelers.

May 19th, 2002, 01:29 AM
balnche

make sure you can swim!

May 19th, 2002, 01:48 AM
sofie

It is a pity of your time to be on a boat, you will have to follow their timescedule, I would rather do things that and when I like them to do