Europe with 3 daughters

Search

Europe with 3 daughters

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe with 3 daughters

I am a single dad and plan on traveling with my daughters ages 17,20,and 22 yrs to London, Paris,Rome, Italy(Florence and Venice). These are just in the planing stages. Does anyone have suggestions on flight and accommondations for 4 people.We will be traveling Appx. June 20th thru July 2nd and would like to stay under 5000.00. Is this possible?? or am i dreaming??
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:39 AM
rex

From Vancouver? Tucson? Perth?

What units are 5000.00?

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 10:56 AM
Doble_Vergasser

Five cities in ten days is probably too agressive (if you did this it would be: one day to tour, next day travel to new city, one day to tour, next next day to travelto next city). My point is you typically spend a day going from one city to the next. (half of your money will be spent on days where you are looking out the window of a train. Not a smart way to spend ypur money.) Most people would probably recommend no more than two cities for ten days.

As far as budget goes:
airfare for four will be $2,600 best case, unless you have a huge bank of frequent flyer miles.
Opinions on per day costs will vary but minimum budget would be $150 US per person per day (two people sharing a 120 euro room). From my personal experience, London is more expensive than most other cities.

Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

We live outside of Los Angeles Leaveing from LAX
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 11:59 AM
rex

I agree with the suggestion to omit London or Paris. If this is your first trip to Europe, I would recommend omitting Paris and Rome both.

You'll need to be resourceful to buy four plane tickets under $4000 from LAX to Europe in (nearly) the peak of summer travel (I am not clear what $5000 was intended to cover? the entire trip? only if you're staying in tents!)

It might be worth your while to split London up... the first two days and the last one or two. Cheap intra-Europe airfares from London to Italy might be more economical than the open jaw itinerary of LAX-LON/"Italy"-LAX. See www.whichbudget.com for ideas.

For lodging in Italy, I recommend www.venere.com or www.eurocheapo.com to survey the horizon of possibilities.

You might find http://www.smoothhound.co.uk a place to start your London hotel search though I'm not so sure it's as good a place to start as Venere is for Italy.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 04:45 PM

I don;t wish to be discouraging - and suggest you start with a zero-based budget - and calculate everything you will have to pay for. Airfare, two rooms (quads are extremely rare - or a triple and a single - or perhaps an apartment). But - even with very modest meals, limited inter-european travel, using free attractions as much as possible and walking vs public transport - I would assume your cost to be at least $10,000.

(As one example- entry to the Tower of London is about $17 each. Some museums are free, but food for four - even take out from a supermarket will cost more than in the US.)

And you are tryuing to cover way too much territory. For your time I would do two major cities - with a day trip or two from each. Otherwise your costs could skyrocket completely out of control.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 06:18 PM

I agree with the suggestion to try and get cheaper fares to London, and then to try to use a site like whichbudget.com for the trip to Italy from London. This might also work for LAX to Paris, then on to Italy. However, I don't see fitting all the countries and cities into one trip, considering your budget and time constraints.

Consider staying in one or two places, and renting an apartment for a week, then hotels for the other location for 3 or 4 days. If you go to one country, it will be a lot less expensive.

Also consider packages. I usually wouldn't but with four people wanting to visit more than one city, it is an option. Look at gotoday.com for ideas. They have some two city packages.

Your daughters will love a trip to Europe, but it doesn't have to be so much of Europe at once. You could do the Big Three in Italy, or you could do London and Paris. Any of those would have thrilled me at your daughters' ages.
Old Oct 28th, 2005, 06:31 PM

Have to add: I actually think you could do a trip for 5000, but to only one country, and by staying in a reasonable apartment for a week. I know an apartment in Florence that could easily accomodate all of you with privacy and comfort. We have stayed in this with four people:

http://www.florencevillas.com/proper...hp?idunit=1961

Even less expensive is the apartment next door(only one bathroom, though):

http://www.florencevillas.com/proper...hp?idunit=2021

So, just specualating: you could fly to London, stay a few nights, then Florence for a week via cheap airline, then back to London and then to LAX. The same thing might work with Paris. And you can probably find even cheaper apartments.

So lets say 2600 for air to London.
400 for really cheap rooms there (consider any of the well priced and pleasant dormitory rooms in London's universities that are very pleasant) for about 2 or three nights. 1000 for an apartment in Florence. That leaves only one thousand for other transport and meals and attractions.

However, if you eat some meals in the apartment, and breakfast is included in the dormitory, it can be done. London is expensive, but the dorms are cheap and most London museums are free.

Or London and an apartment in Venice. Venice apartments might be a little less expensive, but eating there is very expensive.

Anyway, I still think you have to limit it to two places.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:00 PM
rex

Now that you found your airfare deal... it would make far more sense to continue your search for lodging advice by &quot;topping&quot; this (and your other) question which at least indicate that you'll need the room(s) for four (but even better would be to post a new question asking for advice on hotel rooms for four in <b>London</b> - - since that's what you were really asking in your latest post).

Few people will think to associate a need for London hotel advice with a message header like &quot;Happy days are here&quot;!

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:12 PM

Hi...This was MY EXACT TRIP LAST SUMMER after spending 2 months studying abroad in Spain.
Paris 4 days
Rome 4 days (including a day trip to Capri)
Venice 1.5 days
Florence 1.5 days
London 3 days

Can't accurately say how much the trip cost, as I did some shopping.

However, I took RYANAIR throughout the trip, and the flights were amazingly cheap, quick, and convenient. (Paris Beuvais--leaving for Rome was NOT though...it was 2 hours outside of the city, and cost a ton to get there since our flight was very very early in the morning, and the metros and such were not running then.) Also, took the train (I think high-speed) from Venice to Florence, and Florence to Milan (only to get to the airport in Milan to fly to London).

WHat a trip---so worth it!
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:19 PM

cheap travel between countries:
Ryanair.com
Easyjet.com

Also...train tickets raileurope.com
(Can buy individual tickets, instead of passes)

Although hostels are seen as typically for students/younger adults, they also accomodate older adults...don't leave this option out. A cheap, budget hotel granted it isn't the nicest for 3 ppl in Paris cost about 25 or so Euros per person, per night. You can get the 4-person dorm and occupy all the beds, so it's just you guys, or the 4-person room ensuite (with own bathroom).
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:20 PM

Hostelworld.com to find hostels, cheap hotels, even campgrounds---highly recommend for VENICE super cheap, super nice, and still very close to the main area.
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 05:22 PM

the Venice campground we stayed at had cabins/like trailer homes to some extent, I supppose, and were brand new. (they also allow tents, of course)
Old Feb 8th, 2006, 08:08 PM
mjs

I no longer travel budget, but did so for a long time and I think it would be diffcult to do Europe for 10 days in late June for $5000. I agree with doing London/Paris or the big three in Italy as good ideas.
I doubt that you are going to find airfare RT LAX to LHR in June for less than $700 each with taxes and would not be surprised at $1000/person. Add airfares to Paris or Italy RT and I think you will be around $1000/ person alone for airfares. I would check Consolidators for fares in June as well as the usual sales from major airlines for best prices. Air New Zealand also tends to have decent fares from LAX to London.
Dorm rooms or hostels in London or Paris will probably set you back at least $100/night. Quads will be abit more and apartments for four will be more and difficult to get in high season for less than a week.
If you eat out of supermarkets you can keep your food budget reasonable but for four of you it will still probably be $40+/day. Add in local transportation and tickets to tourist attractions and
you are at least at $6000 and probably more like $7000+.