Europe - First time - need advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My mother and I are hoping to go to Europe next summer. Since we are over a year from the trip, it is in the very early talking stages. Neither have ever been and I would love some recommendations.

We both want to see Paris, but aren't sure where else we should go. It all looks so wonderful that we cannot narrow it down.

Here is some of our info/likes/etc.

* I am nearing 40 and my mom is nearing 60. She is in good health, but not incredibly active. So, we can't keep up the pace of some college age kids backpacking across Europe.

* I love history and art, as does she.

* Neither of us are big shoppers.

* We would like to eat at a few nice restaurants, but neither of us are foodies.

* Since I am a teacher, we will most likely be going in June.

* We will probably go for around 10 days, but are flexible.

* We aren't wealthy, so price is a consideration. (But, this will be her only trip to Europe, and some things are worth spending on)

* I think I would like London.

* My mom thinks she would like Italy.

* I wish there is someway we could go to Auschwitz and/or Normandy.

* Museums are a MUST!!!

Can any of you give me some ideas that may help me narrow down an itenerary?

Thanks,
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:19 PM

With 10 days, I might be tempted to stay in Paris, take a group tour to Normandy, then maybe a day trip to Versailles, Giverny or Chartres.

If you add London or someplace in Italy, be sure to fly open jaw (fly into one city and out of another). It typically doesn't cost more, and saves time.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:49 PM

A general guideline that might help you hone your choices: Every time your change location, meaning move to a different hotel, whether it be in a different city or in a different cuntry altogether, it will take at least half a day to check out of one hotel, get various modes of transport to your next location, and check into another hotel.

Since you are first-time European travelers, in each new country you visit there will also be an initial learning time, just figuring out where you are, simple facts of daily life like how to use public transport and such.

How many times do you want to do this in 10 days of travel? Does your 10 days include the days you will travel to and from Europe? If yes, then you have even less time. If you are from North America, generally your last "day" is totally devoted to checking out of your last hotel, getting to the airport, and flying home, so you can't consider it part of your real visiting time.

So far you've mentioned London, Italy, Auschwitz, and Normandy--four different countries. You obviously already understand how impossible this would be.

Missypie's idea to go to Paris with visits to Normandy makes good sense. Also it is easy and relatively quick to travel between London and Paris. Since you have such great interest in history, London and Paris would make a nice 10-day trip. You would have plenty of time for both museums and relaxing, and time in both cities to daytrip to places in the countryside, like Normandy.

London is also a good "starter" trip for Europe, since they speak English, a good place to recover from jet lag.

I love Italy and encourage everyone to visit Italy. If you had 14 days I might say you could add Rome to London and Paris. If it's closer to 10 days, Personally I would stick to one or two countries.

ONE HUGE FACTOR: Your Mom thinks this may be her only trip and she likes the idea of Italy. If you think this is true, then I'd do London and Rome.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:50 PM

I am so sorry about that awful typo . . .
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 01:58 PM

Does 10 days include your travel days?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:03 PM

I agree that with ten days, you should do two places. And I agree that if your Mom is sure this will be her only trip and she wants Italy, Rome should be one of the two places, but I think Paris should be the other. You have plenty of time to plan. Get a Streetwise Map of each city and start studying them. I think if you get a feeling for where things are located, it helps once you get there.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:04 PM

Would you consider a cruise? If so, I would have some suggestions.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:05 PM

Being a true Francophile, I would arrive in Paris, and spend a week there. You will barely scratch the surface, but will have enough memories for a lifetime. Try to stay near where you can get to and from public transportation fairly easily. I prefer the Left Bank (6th Arrondissement). Buy or rent a travel video on Paris, and see if it's right for you. The metro system is wonderful, frequent and easy to use. It's all color coded.

Chunnel over to London and spend the remaining time there. The trip is fairly easy. London is a bit more compact, so you can 'see' more things there without having to traverse a lot, and the Tube is pretty good. Again, buy a London video.

I find London is more expensive, particularly in lodging, than Paris. As a teacher, you know to check your local library for books and videos and study.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:09 PM

Why not stay in Paris for 10 days? We were there for 10 days and found many, many things to do. Take day trips to Versailles, Chartres, Girvney. Remember, each time you change locations, it takes all day (getting to the train or airport, travel time, getting to your hotel in the new place, etc.) Why not enjoy one location?
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:10 PM

What awful typo? I sure missed it.

Both of the above posters have offered good advice. If your mother is not "incredibly active" and wants to go to Italy, that's what I recommend. Moving from country to country by train, plane etc. is tiring and time consuming.

There are more than enough museums and monuments in Italy to keep you busy for ten days. In fact, you'll barely scratch the surface.

I'm not sure why you think this will be your mother's only trip to Europe -- approaching 60 isn't old, but if this is true, I'd go where she wants and if it's Italy, you will certainly enjoy it too. You can make other trips to London, Normandy and the other sites you want to visit on other trips.

Good luck planning.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Clarification -

The place my mother wants to go most is Paris. So, Paris is a given.

We are flexible on days of travel. I think 10 days could stretch to 14, but not much more than that.

Neither of us are huge fans of packing up and switching hotels. The longer we can work out of one spot, the better.

She would like to see at least one other country. I think London makes the most sense, but I think she would like to see Italy.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:16 PM
Original Poster

I don't think we will take a cruise, because she has said after this trip she wants to take a cruise to Alaska.

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:19 PM
ira

Hi TT,

With 10 days, I suggest that you go to Paris and use it as a base for 2-3 daytrips - Chartres and Versailles are worthwhile.

With 14 days, you could do 2 major cities - London and Paris are always a good combination, as are Paris and Rome.

You could also see Venice, Florence and Rome in 2 weeks.

Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:23 PM

Oh my gosh! Your mom is only in her 50's and believes this will be her last trip to Europe? I am 58 and expect to make many more trips before the next chapter (and I'm not wealthy, either). You might consider a tour that will give you an overview of the best of Europe. Rick Steves has a good one, but it's spendy. Find out what you love, then plan to go back on your own!

If you do make a 10+ day trip on your own, and Paris is a given, I would recommend train travel from Paris through Switzerland to Venice. Rome is wonderful, but can be overwhelming to a first time visitor. Venice, on the other hand, is magic.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:25 PM

You could stay in Paris or Rome for weeks and not experience everything, so why not get a taste of what they have to offer? You have time to do both and still come away with fantastic memories and wonderment: Oh my gosh, I really went there!! (Venice is my pick Italy spot but Rome might hold the most appeal for you b/c of the history...It's a fantastic place.)

I'm around your mom's age and I plan on continuing to travel to Europe as long as I can (watch out for jet lag...it's worse for most of us "seniors" even if we don't look or feel senior!)

You and your mom have the opportunity to create some great memories...you can rest later!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:26 PM

I think it would be a good idea to quiz your mom on what attracts her to Italy...because if she's got a picture of a villa in pastoral Tuscany in her mind, a trip to Rome wouldn't get you there. What's the attraction to Italy? The uniqueness of Venice? The art in Florence? The Vatican or Roman sites? Before we send you off to Rome, we need to make sure she's not thinking of Venice or Siena.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

My mom thinks this will be her only trip to Europe because there are many other places she wants to see, beside Europe.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

I'm not sure what she pictures when she mentions Italy! That is a very good question...
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 05:13 AM

And there are many other countries in Europe besides France. I hope this gives her the Europe travel bug that we all suffer from.
Old Apr 4th, 2007, 07:22 AM

For such questions as in OP i often recommend two good sources:

www.ricksteves.com has great stuff on trains, passes, discount airlines and lots of other stuff, and www.budgeteuropetravel.com where you can request the free and excellent European Planning & Rail Guide - a great primer for rail travel, which you should consider, as well as packing tips and an indepth itinerary planner, etc. Otherwsie Fodorites are the very best source of info i've seen - just ask questions and have some real experienced experts respond.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -