Europe trip with teenagers

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We are planning a fourteen day trip to Europe and plan to start in London 4 days, travel to Paris 4 days,and then on to visit our former exchange student in Germany for the remaining part of the trip flying out of Frankfurt.
I am more interested in exposing my kids to the culture and fun of travelling rather than hitting every museum and cathedral (although we will hit a few). Looking for specific ideas to interest my teenage boys and girls.
We are contemplating going to the Cartier International Day to see the polo match. Has anyone done this? How early do you need to go? Where do you watch? Can we just see the polo match at 3:30 or do we have to see the match in the morning to be able to get into the Coronation trophy match?
Also, there are six of us and need advice on car vs. train and how long it really takes by car to get from London to Paris via the Channel Tunnel.

Also need advice about accomodations - I like the idea of a furnished apartment for our size family.

Thanks!

Appreciate any suggestions.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:38 AM

You don't say when you are traveling or where you are headed in Germany.

A train ticket for 6 of you Paris to Franfkurt will run around $400.

If driving with 6, you'll need a monster vehicle or two smaller ones - which is probably cheaper and more comfortable than squishing all into one car. Dropping off in another country is expensive. If you have no particular sightseeing plans for France and just want to go Paris-Germany, I'd look inot renting car(s) for one day and dropping at the French border (Forbach?) Then proceed by train in Germany if you don't have far to go.

The Mosel Valley is a nice place to spend a few days - just east of the border with France and Luxembourg. Train travel within the region is cheap for family groups (daypasses 22-30 Euros per family depending on day.) You can tour the area's medieval castles (Burg Eltz, Reichsburg in Cochem) and visit the ancient city of Trier (cool Roman ruins, pretty town) and maybe ride bikes between villages along the river (Bullay-Zell-Punderich area is nice for this.)

I'm sure you'll get other suggestions once we know your destination in Germany and the approximate route you'll be taking.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 07:46 AM

If you have a day or two, I'd also suggest doing the sites in and around Bayeux - the WW2 beaches, musuems, etc are wonderful and will grab even the most disinterested teen. We also took a day trip to roland garos stadium just outside paris for our teen tennis buff; the spa at baden baden might be fun for the kids (our boys loved it but do the family spa - not the roman version), head towards the bodensee if you have the time and spend some time on the water; there is plenty to do that doesn't necessarily involved churches and museums for teens. we've taken our two boys on three trips in the past 4 years - they've had great times.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 08:42 AM

Another idea in Paris would be to take the Segway tour - the kids will love the novelty and its a fun way to get around. We did the evening tour and had a blast. Depending on when you visit, you might also look into futbol matches or rugby in the UK.
Old Jan 17th, 2005, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

These are great ideas! We plan to pick up our German exchange student in his hometown and then he'll be our tour guide in Germany and we'll be staying with his relatives in this country. Really only need suggestions for Paris and London. We plan to go in late July -- along with all the other tourists!!!

Any thoughts on the polo match-- or should we do the futbol (soccer)??
Thanks for the suggestions so far.