Europe Trip May 2006

Old Dec 30th, 2005, 05:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe Trip May 2006

We have three ladies (in 60's) planning a 6 and 1/2 week trip in May/June 2006.
This is plan
Rome 5 nights - accom bked
Florence 2 nights
Venice 3 nights
Lyon 1 night
Paris 7 nights - accom bkd
London 7 nights - accom bkd
then 15 day car hire booked and planning 5 days in Ireland during this time ending up in Lakes District area of Northern England (family visiting for some of this time but would like some input for a couple of days tripping around the dales? We then fly out of Manchester to home (Australia)
We have France-Italy 4 day pass organised.
Any input would be appreciated about variations to timing / what we must see / do etc.
Thanks
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 06:10 PM

I'd definitely give more than one night to Lyon, France's second-largest city and a place with loads to offer.

Otherwise, sounds like a reasonable plan - great one, actually.

Have you checked that your rail pass is actually cheaper than point-to-point tickets? They often aren't.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 08:42 PM
Original Poster

We can't spend more time in Lyon but wanted a glimpse of it as it supposedly is where maternal ggg gparents came from. Maybe next time.
Re the railpasses, well they are already purchased so if it is better the other way I dont want to know about it now, lol.
Thanks for your input, I think I have allowed enough time for us to see a lot and still have time to relax.
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 09:19 PM

Sounds a bit hectic...When I went on a trip to Italy with my mom (60's), I found that it took her 2-3 days to get adjusted to a place. My advice would be to visit fewer cities, but spend 4 nights in a city--that way you'll get the flavor...

IMHO, I would increase the time in Florence and Venice, and decrease the time in the city of London--other than the BM, V&A, there wasn't a whole lot in London that you can't see in New York City or any other metropolitan city. On the other hand, I would recommend excursions outside of London--Dover to see Dover Castle (a great fortress with wonderful history), Windsor Castle, Oxford,Blenheim Palace, and the Cotswold...

BTW, be very careful in Rome--my first bad travel experience took place there around Termini. Terminin is full of panhandlers and gypsies with light fingers that operate in full view of the police.

Lil
Old Dec 30th, 2005, 10:06 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OMG! "other than the BM, V&A, there wasn't a whole lot in London that you can't see in New York City or any other metropolitan city

Absolute rubbish!!

SandM - you can sefely ignore that bit.

But I have a question -- I was following your plan and it looked just fine. Until I read "15 day car hire booked and planning 5 days in Ireland during this time ending up in Lakes District"

Are you planning on taking your car to Ireland an back? And where were you planning to take the ferry from? What part(s) of Ireland were you hoping to see? And finally, other than the Lakes/Dales, which part(s) of England/Wales are you planning to visit?

a 15 day UK driving tour with 5 days in Ireland plopped in the middle really doesn't make much sense.

If Ireland is a "must" think about this option instead. Fly from London to Cork (or Shannon or Dublin depending on which part of Ireland you want to see), spend your 5 days touring the SW and then fly back to the UK. Then you will have 10 days to see a bit of England w/o having to travel to a ferry port in Wales and the cost/hassle of taking a car on the ferry to Ireland.
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 01:55 AM
Original Poster

Okay, having spent a week in London (alright 10 years ago but still....) I know we can easily fill in our time there. same with Paris.
Re the car, thought leave London, go down do Windsor,Stonehenge,Salisbury and then up through Bath etc and spend a day around llandudno etc (Wales is soooo pretty) ending in Hollyhead. Ferry to Dublin, have 5 days there in b&b's -Galway,Cliffs of Moher, Killiney etc and back then to Hollyhead and up to Barrow (relatives). Base in Barrow and do some tripping there for a few days before leaving from Manchester.
Yes, I have been warned a few times about termini station area. We will be very careful not only there but I guess everywhere.
Thanks for comments/help.
Still sorting accomm in Flor. Venice, Lyon.
Realise this section will be hectic but can take a day to rest when we get to Paris (hmmm)
Old Dec 31st, 2005, 06:44 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
SandM: W/ your new info I definitely think flying to Ireland makes more sense. Taking the ferry will have you traveling across the whole of Ireland, and back across the country in just 5 days.

You would be better off flying into Shannon (or even Galway) and touring Ireland for 5 days. Then you can fly back to any of several UK airports , pick up another car and have 10 straight days for touring/visiting relatives.
Old Feb 16th, 2006, 03:24 AM

Hello, was just reading your post and thought I could give some information. If you are hiring a car in England, most rental suppliers will charge you for taking it to Ireland - normally about £95.00 + VAT, and then you have the ferry cost as well! If you can find cheaper flights for the three of you than that, i'd fly to, if not, take the car, that way you have one to travel around Ireland in!!

Plus most car hire supplier and agents give bigger discounts on car hire the longer you have the vehilce, it normally works out more expensive to have the vehilce for say 2 short hires of 10 days than to keep the vehilce for the full 20 days - just another way of saving money!