Europe in late July

Search

Europe in late July

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 09:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe in late July

I'm planning my holiday for next year, I'm thinking a week in Europe. Question is: which country / city? I want the holiday to coincide with my birthday which is (unfortunately / fortunately) in the last week of July. 'Unfortunately' because I understand it is in the high season (expensive + crowded), 'fortunately' because it's summer and there can be a lot of activities to do / sights to see.

I don't like crowds. I went to Italy last May and didn't like the crowds in downtown Florence (but further up and away at Piazzale Michelangelo it was better because there were less people). The rest of the holiday I spent in smaller towns such as Pisa, Lucca, Pontedera, Peccioli, and Carrara, all of which were better suited for my taste.

I also prefer to explore the city on foot so cities with good public transportation and safety records are preferred. I am not ambitious and are more than happy to stay in one place and really experience the surroundings. I'm not much for shopping / nightlife and prefer relaxing activities, something cultural / to do with nature.

Any ideas? Thanks! =)
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 09:35 PM

Late July might be pretty hot and humid in many areas. Keep that in mind when you make your decisions; I still remember Salsburg in early August, like a sauna.
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 11:11 PM
Original Poster

Yes, the temperature is another consideration. I actually considered going to Morocco but with my birthday being in late July it is out of the question.

But just how hot could it get? I've been living in Singapore for the past 8 years, probably the hottest + most humid country in the world so I don't get rattled easily by hot weather.

I actually already have a couple of ideas in mind but I thought I'd wait for all your suggestions first. One of them is Vienna, as Dominik suggested. The other is Switzerland though not sure yet which part of Switzerland. With the alps and everything, I figured the weather would still be quite pleasant in late July.
Old Dec 2nd, 2015, 11:54 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
July would be great in Northern Germany, Denmark, Sweden or even Central Germany.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 01:18 AM
Original Poster

Care to elaborate, bilboburgler? How about Croatia?
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 01:36 AM

You have so many options. In July you can go everywhere in Europe. You must specify a bit more want you want.

Here just a few thoughts:

Croatia. I returned just two weeks ago from a trip which led me to Croatia (and Italy, Greece and Turkey). Croatia is a popular summer destination for Europeans, so expect mass tourism in the beach towns in July. Dubrovnik will have four cruise ships in the port (each day in July), so expect to feel like in a sardine can if you stroll through town. The lakes of Plitvice will be beautiful.

Switzerland. The country has lots to offer - mountains, quaint towns, art museums, hiking trails, lakes, monasteries and castles etc. It seldom gets hot and if, you drive just up into the mountains and roll in the snow. My favourite (smallish) town is Luzern. It has a beautiful Old Town, a scenic lake that reaches fjordlike into the mountains, an impressive mountain (Pilatus) with excellent access (tramways) right at the door and good railway connections. You can do daytrip to the Jungfrau (one of the most impressive mountains in the Alps), to Einsiedeln Monastery, to Bern (art museums, Old Town) and Zürich (Old Town).

But there is so much more. What about Scotland? Norway? The German Alps with all these castles in the foothills? Quaint picturesque towns in Germany like Monschau and Aachen? The Rhine Valley with castles, vineyards and wine villages?

Just dream a bit and tell us more about your dreams. We give you the places then.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 01:37 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Croatia and the whole Dalmatian coast is lovely but pretty full in July. Island hoping is the best followed by wandering in the hills and finally sale-cruising. The coastal small cities are very pleasant but can be ruined by large ships and their mouse eared, fat inhabitants. I've been a few occasions at different times of the year and May June is a nicer time to go.

Of the areas I mention the inhabitants are basically on holiday in your dates, while some stay in-country vast numbers head to Italy and Spain for their holidays so leaving the country relatively un-crowded. Hence, when I holiday in July or August I go here.

The main cities in these areas are pretty good, clean while the countryside is often ignored by foreigners.

I especially like the Mosel valley but you will also find that the Elbe, and the Rhine in Alsace is really wonderful.

I tend to enjoy bicycling holidays on flat bike paths with little traffic but I can especially recommend Alsace/Mosel/Pfalz as areas of fine food, architecture and wine.

Coming south from the countries I mention you tend to look at France, Italy and Spain. All three tend to have a large proportion of holidays in this period and they stay in-country (I know mature Frenchmen who have never holidayed out of France) so the place gets very busy.

Switzerland, I have to go here in the summer every couple of years to see family, and much as I love them the place is expensive, and while the countryside is great the cities are basically meh. Austria is a bit better as at least prices make sense, don't ignore Slovenia either if you like the odd mountain but tends towards busy.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 01:59 AM

Inhabitants of Sweden and Denmark might be on holiday during June and July but that does not mean Copenhagen and Stockholm are quiet. It is peak holiday season for others visiting those countries, having said that you will not get the crowds of the Med and it is easy enough to find a quiet spot esp in Swedish countryside.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 03:39 AM

Hello

Paris is relatively empty in july.
Lots of foreigners (but there are always foreigner in Paris) and nearly no Frenchs after 15 of july. Absolutely none after 1st of Aug.

Basically avoid any place with sun, sea or access to water, we are all there with our kids in july/august.

mvg
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 04:13 AM

If you don;t mind the cost I think that Scandinavia is great at that time of year. Lovely sunny weather that is warm during the day and coolish at night.

You could easily divide between Copenhagen and Stockholm or just do Stockholm with a day trip or two. Both cities have a ton to see and do.

Hotel rates tend not to be SO high then since many locals are on vacation and there is not a ton of business travelers. We stayed in the Grand Hotel in Stockholm - incredible views over parts of the archipelago and Gamla Stan- at about 50% off rack rate.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 04:20 AM

Consider the entire Alpine region, not just Switzerland. Many parts of the French-Italian Alps are very pleasantly uncrowded in July.

I would also give some consideration to Poland, Scotland, the north coast of Spain and northern Portugal. There are many Italian islands and coastal towns, popular with Italians, that are not crowded in July because Italians vacation in August. These include interesting parts of the Tuscan coast, the area of Sperlonga, the islands of Elba, Giglio, Procida and Ponza. The Italian Riviera between Genova and the French border is also not crowded in July and it is easy to get around by train.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 05:11 AM

It's great to know that hotels in Stockholm and Copenhagen give such huge discounts during the peak tourist season.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 08:27 AM

We found many hotels giving large discounts - but perhaps they were those that had primarily business travelers. Can't guarantee why but we had a choice of several very nice places.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 11:39 AM

Whoever told you late July is "high season" is wrong. It is actually low season (in terms of hotel rates) in many European large cities. It is high season in resort areas, the beach, etc., but not in cities. Why would it be, cities don't exist mainly for vacationers.

I've gotten lower hotel rates in every city I've stayed at in Europe in late July/August, actually -- for example, Paris, London and Prague that I can recall. And rates are definitely cheaper in Barcelona, also, than in some peak period.
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Hi all, thanks for the replies!

First of all, I'd like to apologize in advance because this post is going to be a bit long.

Packed like sardine = deal-breaker. Croatia is off the table then.

I haven't given Scandinavian countries much thoughts, I honestly don't know why. Maybe I'm not really familiar with them? I'm gonna do more research and I'll get back to you.

I know in the Summer most Europeans do this mass excursion to the beach but my usual apartment rental in Pisa still classifies summer months as high season and charges accordingly.

FYI, out of the 3 main concerns (crowds, temperature, cost), absence of crowds is non-negotiable (if you need to rub shoulders, it is too crowded).

Temperature-wise, hopefully it doesn't get hotter than 90 degrees. As for the cost, I don't mind mid-to-high range options. I will be traveling with my partner just the two of us and we always prefer accommodation that is more than just a place to sleep.

Also, considering this will be a milestone birthday, I'd like to make it more special.

To give you a bit of idea, our last trip to Italy perfectly embodies what we like. It was a week in Pisa, we stayed at this apartment rental near the Tower. There were a supermarket, a train station, and a bus stop nearby and we walked and took public transport everywhere.

Since Pisa is so well connected, we managed to see Lucca, Florence, Carrara, Pontedera, Livorno, and Peccioli. In terms of activities, Italy offers many that interest us. We took a Tuscan cooking and pasta-making classes in Peccioli and we went to see the Carrara marble quarry which we greatly enjoyed.

I actually consider going back to explore other parts of Italy that we didn't get to the last time such as Cinque Terre, Collodi, Montepulciano, etc but I don't know...Italy two times in a row? Also, it will be at the height of the Summer, I worry Tuscany will be too hot and the cities will be too empty.

I'm perfectly OK with mountain / hill / countryside destinations. Currently I'm leaning towards Switzerland. I'd love to ride the train to Jungfrau, do some hiking, and stay at a nice chalet. Any recommendations?

Also, how about staying in a castle? I heard Belgium had the best castles, is this true?

Thanks! =)
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 05:55 PM

Pisa is such a tourist magnet that it doesn't surprise me they don't lower their prices in July. Most of Italy, unless you get some real elevation, will have the risk of a 90+ heat wave in July.

Switzerland is lovely, but it is quite expensive as compared to the valle d'Aosta, which is filled with castles (don't know how many put up guests). You can reach many of the nicest sights of the valle d'Aosta by public transporation, but it is nice to have a car.

If you are willing to rent a car, Trento and the Trentino area is also filled with castles, and has many lovely affordable places to stay (maybe some of them in castles). It's also got many beautiful lakes, many of them unknown to most foreigners.

http://www.italia.it/en/travel-ideas...s-castles.html

https://www.visittrentino.it/en/trentino/lakes

http://www.tr3ntino.it/en/highlights/castles/
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 06:01 PM

http://www.karenbrown.com/region/aosta-valley/
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 06:05 PM

http://castleandpalacehotels.com/cou...neto/korb.html

http://castleandpalacehotels.com/cou...o/pergine.html
Old Dec 3rd, 2015, 06:21 PM
Original Poster

traveller1959 wrote:

"Switzerland. The country has lots to offer - mountains, quaint towns, art museums, hiking trails, lakes, monasteries and castles etc. It seldom gets hot and if, you drive just up into the mountains and roll in the snow. My favourite (smallish) town is Luzern. It has a beautiful Old Town, a scenic lake that reaches fjordlike into the mountains, an impressive mountain (Pilatus) with excellent access (tramways) right at the door and good railway connections. You can do daytrip to the Jungfrau (one of the most impressive mountains in the Alps), to Einsiedeln Monastery, to Bern (art museums, Old Town) and Zürich (Old Town).

But there is so much more. What about Scotland? Norway? The German Alps with all these castles in the foothills? Quaint picturesque towns in Germany like Monschau and Aachen? The Rhine Valley with castles, vineyards and wine villages?"

Upon re-reading, I actually like what you've written here, traveller1959!

Quaint picturesque towns = right up my alley
Castles, mountains in the Alps = yes, please!

I've looked it up, Luzern doesn't have an international airport, does it? Is it difficult to get from Zurich to Luzern? And where do you recommend I stay?

Another thing that you wrote that's piqued my interest is Scotland. After looking it up, staying in a castle in Scotland sounds wonderful. Any castle that you'd recommend? But what to do there? I understand castles are usually situated in a moor so I've got to plan ahead for the activities. (Can't imagine stepping outside the castle and just wing it =p)
Old Dec 4th, 2015, 03:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I would not do a day trip to the Jungfrau; I would spend at least a couple of days there. BUT, be prepared for a LOT of visitors, many of whom are from your part of the world.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -