Europe in December

Search

Europe in December

Search this Thread

Old Oct 27th, 2010, 10:51 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europe in December

We will have only 1 week in Europe in December, leaving from the Netherlands. Can you recommend a place in Europe or nearby with mild weather? We are both cold intolerant, love to explore and due to limited time, would want to best maximize our time relaxing, taking in scenery, settling down instead of trying to see and do as much possible. Please advise. Thank you!
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:37 AM

You don't have much choice as even Mediterranean islands can be quite cool.

I'd suggest Cyprus as the weather is likely to be a bit warmer than further west or go to Madeira / Canary Islands off the coast of Africa.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Malta, Cyprus and Crete would be warm-ish options. Sicily would also be comfortable but likely rainy. Finnish friends of ours enjoyed the Canary Islands in late December one year, but they did have a little rain.

I'm not sure how easy to reach these places are for you.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 11:54 AM

From Amsterdam Transavia flies to the Canary Islands. But only on selected days.

it depends on what you want to do with yuor 1 week. If you enjoy countryside, walking and small towns then you could consider La Palma, or La Gomera. Both are greener than the bigger islands. they will be warm, but there is a chance of rain, or even snow on teh mountains. At sea level they will be warm.
However it is peak time for the Canaries, and a lot will already be booked up if you are thinking of this December.
If you choose La Palma try to opt for the west side of the island, and hire a car - there are good bus services but a car is more useful.

Gran Canaria and Tenerife also has some lovely areas once you get away from the tourist spots. You may have to stay in the tourist areas and make your own trips out from there.

Otherwise consider somewhere like Gambia maybe if you want guaranteed heat.
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 03:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
We had a week in Nice at Christmas a few years ago and the weather was sunny and around 15 degrees (celsius). It was much better weather than London, where we'd been living. There is a lot to do in the area, we did day trips by bus and train. You can check out www.nicepebbles.com for apartment ideas. We loved the apartment we stayed in, it was central and well equipped.

You could also get the train from the Netherlands though it may take a while. If you fly in December you run the risk of cancellations and delays due to fog and ice etc.

We also loved a trip to Malta and Gozo a few years ago, though we were there in early summer. There are some apartments in Valletta, the main town, that look good. Valletta is the hub for the buses and we always like staying somewhere central so it really suited us. There are beach resorts there as well but I doubt it would be beach weather in December. You can check historical weather averages for that time of year on Trip Planner on www.wunderground.com

Kay
Old Oct 27th, 2010, 07:24 PM

Barcelona?
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'd look at the Algarve in Portugal, MArakesh in Morocco (not europe but the cheap airlines go there)
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 01:08 AM

There is very little chance of cancellations in December with regard to flying. If there is enough snow to cancel flights it will also affect trains. Fog is not normally a problem in December, and ice isn't either. The Dutch are prepared for winter - it happens every year in one form or another.

Barcelona can be cold in December - and even have snow.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 05:21 AM

Have you considered Andalucia. Granada and Seville are pretty mild at that time of year on average and with lots to see and do.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 05:34 AM

I'd look to Egypt, or even the Caribbean, or Thailand, if you can get a good package. Even Southern Europe sees a lot of unpleasant weather at that time of the year. If the goal is good weather, Europe in December is simply not the place to be.
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 06:56 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think the trick is to not nter the continental climate of Europe hence I'd keep to the area close to the atlantic but around the med. Hence my suggestions. Turkey is contintental and so will be colder as may Egypt. Even Bethlehem gets snow
Old Oct 28th, 2010, 07:57 AM

<i>Turkey is contintental and so will be colder as may Egypt.</i>

The average high temperature in Cairo in December is 20 C. I seriously doubt there is anywhere in Europe that has an average temperature higher than that during December.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your suggestions. Would love to see Europe at different time of year but special occasion takes us there in Dec, so we are trying to make most of it. Will be researching your recommendations.
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 11:57 PM

Well, if you must go in December, then I say forget about the weather and go somewhere like Paris, which will have a lot of indoor activities.
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 12:58 AM

My experience of Seville in December was of it being cool but Malaga was a week of sunshine in early 20s (70s). Canaries are the best bet.