Europ Itenary Suggestions/Comments

Old Apr 14th, 2003, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Europ Itenary Suggestions/Comments

Hello Everyone!

Me and my wife are planning our first trip to Europe (in the month of June) and wanted some suggestions on our Itenary:

Days: 14.

We fly into Paris

Visit Paris for a couple of days,

See the Swiss Apls ( around the InterLaken Region) and Zermatt if possible

Visit Venice, Rome and time permitting some other city.

Head back to Paris

Is it managable to do all this in 12 days w/o making the trip too hectic?

Also what would be the best mode of transportation from Paris --Swiss Alps -- Italy?

Thanks
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:15 PM

Too many miles unless you have your own jet.

I'd suggest you limit yourselves to three places in a relatively small geographic area.

If you like big cities, museums, etc., you could very easily spend 5 days in Paris (including a day trip to Versailles).

Where you go from there depends on your interests. If you're American and into history, you can't beat Normandy and the D-Day beaches. If castles and gardens appeal, go to the Loire Valley. If you want fun in the sun, go south to Provence and the Riviera or Biarritz on the Atlantic coast.
Old Apr 17th, 2003, 05:43 PM

For 14 days, I would visit either France and Switzerland, or Switzerland and Italy. Really, one could spend 14 days in each country, but if you're trying to hit some highlights, Paris and the Alps would be fun, or the Alps/Venice/Florence combo might be possible. Trying to do Paris, Switzerland, and the major sites of Italy in 14 days would be possible, but less enjoyable.
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 12:55 AM

I'd have to agree with the last post. It may be "do-able" technically but it's a lot of running around, especially when you have to get back to Paris at the end of it. Paris to Interlaken is not a short trip. Interlaken to Northern Italy is a much longer trip than it looks on the map because of those damned Alps, which slow things down. Taking the train from Venice back to Paris is (if I recall correctly) about a 12-14 hour trip.

I think doing a France/Interlaken or Italy/Interlaken would be very nice, splitting the trip between the bustle of some big cities and the serenity of hiking in the Alps. (In case you don't know, there is an entire system of well-marked trails with rest houses where you can stop for a snack throughout the area. Plus there are trains in each of the valleys that go up and down the hills so you can have a lovely day of hiking/train/hiking/train and cover some distance and see a few of the towns.)

If you really want some more city, maybe do a day trip into Zurich. (Don't go to Berne, it's dull, dull, dull, dull)
Old Apr 18th, 2003, 06:03 AM

I agree that France/Swiss/Italy is too much.

Also, is it 14 days or 12?

Assuming 12, if you don't mind a couple overnight trains, it might be possible to do a:
Paris-Venice-Florence-Paris

If you have 14 days, alternatively:
Paris-Venice-Florence-Cinque Terre-Nice-
EasyJet to Paris.

If you are set on the Alps:
Paris-Annecy-Chamonix-Somewhere in Swiss/Alsace-Paris. (I'm not a Swiss or Alsace guy, but would that work? make a circle back to Paris?)

Have fun!
Old Apr 21st, 2003, 08:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your comments

its a 14 day trip ( I said 12, after excluding 2 days for the air trip to and back to US)

Our final iternary is now as follows:

Paris-> Rome (Overnight train) -> Venice -> Lucernce/Interlaken -> Paris

should I still prepare for a very hectic trip?

I also want to mention that I am kinda looking at this as a 'see europe' trip rather than a vacation..let see..hope to survive this!