Euro Spring/Summer

Search

Euro Spring/Summer

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2013, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Euro Spring/Summer

I'm a solo 25yo female traveller currently in france until the end of march. i want to fill april and may travelling through europe before basing myself in the greek islands for the summer, hopefully iOS.

can anybody recommend places to go/see/stay and the best way to travel? I know april may isn't the best time being in between seasons but somewhere warm would be great. i was thinking spain/portugal and italy would be good?

also, how hard is it to find accommodation/bar work in greek islands if i were to arrive end of May? Otherwise hotel reception/hosting work...

thanks!
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:29 AM

April and May would be a good time to travel anywhere, particularly in southern Europe, so it depends upon your interests.

Unemployment for under 25s in Greece is now over 50%, so there will be lots of young people looking for work this summer. Do you have an EU passport? If not you can't legally work, so will be paid "under the table", and at the mercy of your employers.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:31 AM

BTW, if you are typing on an Apple device, autocorrect changes Ios to iOS. ;-)
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 03:52 AM

Finding work on an island at a bar or cafe should be easy, especially during May when they are beginning to hire staff.

Finding accommodation is relatively easy too, at the beginning of the season, or better 1-2 weeks before the opening of the hotels, it is easier to find accommodation at reasonable prices..

The later in the season you arrive on a island, the more difficult it will be to find accommodation at low prices....

Working at a hotel is not easy, there are studies required in tourism, foreign languages... and of course knowledge of the Greek language.

Everything will be easy if you are a EU citizen, if not you will be working illegally.

After the latest reform that was forced upon the greek hotel employees by the so called troica, you fin working at a hotel not very appealing anyway....

The salary will be ridiculous ( might be around 500 Euro per month if you are under 25), you will have to work every day without any day off, working overtime etc.....

Hotels offer sometimes accommodation, which in my experience usually is substandard and by far not up to the level of the hotel rooms....
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 04:59 AM

There are some destinations in Spain where April is the peak tourist season -- which means higher prices (likewise if any of your end-of-March travel puts you in the Easter vacation period.

Without knowing what kind of a budget you have or what you hope to get out of your travels through Europe (other than a job on Ios!), it is pretty hard to give advice to you about where to go and how to travel.

There is a great deal of cultural treasure in Spain, Italy and Portugal when it comes to music, art, craft and gastronomy. Other than staying warm, what do you care about?
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 05:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks for the responses. i have been working in the french alps for the winter so warmth is at the top of my list. would love to experience some different cultures, eat yummy food, meet lots of people/socalise & have fun doing so. not so much into arts/crafts/history side of things.

also i dont have an EU passport so would need to find cash work. have friends who have done this in the past 2 years and they seem to think its quite easy. has anyone done this themselves? if so, is accommodation provided in some jobs?

I have experience with reception/concierge/events & hosting.

budget wise - nothing too extravagant, i would like to have some time off in april may while travelling however will definately need to work after 6 or so weeks off. after summer i would like to have some time off again for a month or two and head to the US.
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 07:05 AM

Uh, are you aware that non-EU citizens are limited to a stay of 90 days in the Schengen Zone? All the countries you mention except Croatia are in the Schengen Zone. Here's details: http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_p.../cis_4361.html
Old Feb 11th, 2013, 07:17 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Working under the table/for cash is the LEAST of your problems.

If you have overstayed your Schengen limits not only are you unlikely to find work (and accommodations included -- don't think so!) . . . but can be detained/deported and not allowed back for a VERY long time.

The best advice is to go home now and cut your losses . . .
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 06:33 AM
Original Poster

thanks. if i were to leave the schengen area then return would the 90 days restart though?

im not going to get this opportunity again so advice like go home now and cut your losses, isnt really much help.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

i also have a french working holiday visa which runs until november... wouldnt that dismiss the 90 day requirement?
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:23 AM

I would imagine that a French "working holiday" visa would only be good in France, no? You might want to see if that visa is good in the rest of the EU. It would not be good in Croatia, they are not part of the EU. Also stepping outside of Schengen does not "restart the clock" - but if you have a visa that is good until November, you don't need to worry (unless you overstay in Croatia, for some reason.)

Check with the folks who issued you the visa to see if it is good in EU countries outside of France.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:38 AM

"if i were to leave the schengen area then return would the 90 days restart though?"

You're allowed a maximum of 90 days in a 180-day period, so crossing a non-Schengen border only to return will not work until that full 180 days has passed. Your 180 days begins the moment you first enter the Schengen zone.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:52 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
you didn't mention the visa before. I have no idea if that allows you to work in other countries-only the appropriate authorities can tell you that.

•• BTW- even a 'working visa' doesn't allow illegal/non-taxed employment ••
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 08:59 AM

Croatia will be the 28th EU member as of the 1st of July 2013
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 09:53 AM

I believe you are allowed to visit other Schengen countries (apart from the one in which you have the working holiday visa) for a maximum of 90 days out of 180, <i>but hey, what do I know?</i> You need to get expert advice from an immigration lawyer or consulate, not from someone on Fodor's. Even if I am correct, how would you know? ;-)
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 04:23 PM

"Croatia will be the 28th EU member as of the 1st of July 2013"

Yes but they will not be part of the Schengen countries right away, thank goodness. It is suppose to be a year or two (or more) after they join the EU that this will happen.
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 04:26 PM

@rialtogrl

That was only a clarification to :

"It would not be good in Croatia, they are not part of the EU"
Old Feb 12th, 2013, 05:30 PM

got it
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 12:29 AM
Original Poster

thanks everyone, i will check with the french embassy who issued my visa.

now back to the itinerary, where are some fun beautiful places for younger people that I should visit in April & May?
Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:57 AM

I bet you'd have a good time in Barcelona - also Madrid!