Suggestions for things to do in Cote d'Azur

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2015, 02:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are flying into Nice on March 14th and staying for 3 nights. We would like some suggestions on a possible itinerary. We would like to rent a car one day and drive along the coast, making stops in different towns. Does this sound like the best idea to see lots of different places?

Can you suggest things to do in Nice as well as things to do in the surrounding towns. So far, I know I would like to hit Cour Saleya in Nice and Stop in Antibes. We very much enjoy food, wine, cafes, cute towns and villages etc.

Thank you in advance!
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 02:59 PM

Eze, Vence, Monte Carlo. All make nice visits.
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 03:13 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Eze, Monaco, Bealieu(sp) and Cap Ferrat all spectacular

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio..._Provence.html
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 03:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
Here's Cap Ferrat

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...te_d_Azur.html

Now add Ville-Franch-sur-Mer and you have a full day of delights.

All of these are much more "quaint" than Cannes or the bigger towns.

Obviously you need more time OR you will be back!
Old Feb 19th, 2015, 05:16 PM

Have a look a the charming old towns in the hills above the coast - lovely churches and some great small museums.

I would not do Monte Carlo that time of year - the uber wealthy for whom the town is built are elsewhere at that time of year - so unless you are looking for suer expensive designer shopping there's not much to do.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 05:40 AM

If you like driving on a scooter/small motorbike, hire one of those instead! The drives along the cost to Cannes or Monaco are incredibly scenic and it's a much better experience. But it might still be a bit cold.

You can also go see Villefranche sur Mer (nice fort, beaches and a little town), Menton (nice city, there's a lemon festival each year), St. Paul de Vence (castle!), even Grasse (the perfume city!).

For an exceptional dinner, head to Biot and the restaurant La Pierre à Four.

There's a lot to do around Nice, so if there's any possibility to extend your stay, go for it
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 06:09 AM

+1 for what TPAYT suggested. We loved our day spent in Ville-Franch-sur-Me and then on to Villa Ephrussi.

We didn't bother with a car rental, the train is a fast, easy and inexpensive way to visit both.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 07:31 AM

Menton was a very pleasant surprise for me. Would not recommend Monaco, although you sort of have to drive past/through it to get to Menton if you go by car.

Definitely spend a full day in Nice: there is so much to do, and while it is a big city, it has such incredible atmosphere that it gives off the impression of being a small resort town equally well.

Things I did and enjoyed in Nice:
la Vieille Ville : wandering around the old town is great if you like architecture, people watching, and poking into shops. Cours Saleya is nice open air market

Cimitière du Chateau: great views of the city, beautiful though solemn statues and graves

Promenade du Paillon: park just off of Place Massena, great for people watching, nice break after lots of walking, very fun fountains and sculptures

Promenade d'Anglais: MUST DO stroll along the coast, visit beach

Other things I would have liked to do but did not have time for include the Musée Marc Chagall: mostly dedicated to his religious work, but still with the famous Chagall use of color, and in a different area of the city I didn't get to explore.

My trip report covers Nice, Monaco and Menton (plus Paris) if you want more in depth discussion of my time in Nice: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-in-8-days.cfm

Micheline has great practical tips for Nice here: http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...and-around.cfm
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 08:23 AM

We were in Villefranche-sur-mer for a month last May. Agree with those who recommend visiting this village and surrounding areas. If you're walkers, you can even walk along the coast from Nice to VSM and Cap Ferat. But, if you're not, take the local bus from Place Garibaldi in Nice. We enjoyed the Villa Ephrussi, too. One day, on Sunday, I think, we took the same local bus, #81?, thru Monaco to Menton, and found the Cocteau Museum there to be excellent. We also enjoyed walking up to and around the old fort overlooking Menton. You can see all the way to the Italian/French border from there.

In Nice, it's easy to spend a few days along the coast, walking along the Promenade des Anglais, up to the chateau overlooking the Med and the city, and through Old Town to Place Garibaldi. But, don't miss the Chagall Museum. The Matisse Museum, a little farther out, is interesting (it has his first painting which, to me, was unbelievable for a "beginner"), but not quite as dramatic, in my view, as the Chagall Museum. Both museums can be reached by bus (the same bus, I think). Right downtown, the Massena Museum (housed in the old Marshal Massena villa) is worth seeing, too.

Between Antibes and Cannes, both easily accessible by train from Nice, we preferred Antibes -- much more compact, a decent market on Saturday, and the Picasso Museum overlooking the port.

My wife really enjoyed visiting Grasse, even though it rained almost all day (as it is likely to do in March). We took the train from VSM, with a change of trains in Cannes. The Fragonard Museum and factory in Grasse were quite interesting, even for me. It may be possible to buy a ticket from Nice to Grasse, and stop to visit (albeit briefly) both Antibes and Cannes, either on the way to Grasse or when returning. Just a thought, given the short amount of time you'll be in Nice. Enjoy your stay.
Old Feb 20th, 2015, 09:23 AM
twk

I wouldn't bother with the rental car. We were going to see Eze on our way in to Nice, but couldn't find any place to park and had to come back and see it by bus later on.