EU Customs

Jun 19th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

EU Customs

Flying into one EU country, transfering flights to another EU country - do I go though customs at country one or two or both? I have been told it depends anyone who can give me correct information it will be appreciated. Thanks
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:36 AM

You don't go thru customs when staying in the Schengen area, only when entering or exiting it (or between 2 non Schengen countries)
The 15 Schengen countries are: Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Iceland, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:37 AM

I've only ever gone through Customs at my final destination in the EU.

It's not Customs that takes time - in Rome, at least, you simply walk through the green door "Nothing to Declare" - but Passport Control, since there are lines for EU citizens who just breeze through and lines for all the rest of us, which are quite a bit slower.
Jun 19th, 2006, 10:42 AM

Ooops i mixed up customs and imigration
Jun 19th, 2006, 01:33 PM
Original Poster

I know what you mean about passport control. Last year I had the misfortune to get in behind a flight from the middle east after standing in line for the best part of an hour - an officer came out asked who was american\english to raise hands we all did and he pointed at the exit door.Never even looked at the passports. Thanks for response
Jun 19th, 2006, 01:43 PM

So later this year, when I fly from the US to Warsaw, I go through Customs, and then a few weeks later when I fly from Warsaw to Paris, I go through Customs, and then two weeks later, when I fly from Paris back to the US, I go through Customs.

Am I right?

Oh, joy!

Sandy
Jun 19th, 2006, 02:40 PM

sandyh - If you mean passport control, then, YES, you're correct.
Jun 19th, 2006, 03:09 PM

What I love is to return home to Atlanta and then, after getting through passport control, I get to go through a full security check before being allowed out of the international arrival area.

My artificial hip and I always have fun.
First I make the bell go ding dong. Then some joker bellows out "Male assist."
Then some itinerant farmer comes over who looks like he doesn't know a femur from an ulna to check me out.

The classic case was when the checker-outer came over and inquired,
"Whassa trouble?" I replied, "I have an artificial hip." Next question, "Yeah? Where 'bouts."

Then we proceeded with the inspection.

In Germany, after I rang the security bell, I was asked to step in front of the high powered X=ray machine. The security officer, who spoke English, took one look and said "You may continue."

How did he know, I asked? His answer, "Your hip is nice and bright."
In Britain, the security officer simply said, "Sir, may I feel of your hip?"
I said, "Sure, go right ahead." He probed for about 5 seconds, and said, "Have a nice flight home."

Jun 19th, 2006, 03:20 PM

<< Flying into one EU country, transfering flights to another EU country >>

It depends on which EU countries you are talking about.
If it's UK & France then you will pas through Immigration & Customs but if you are talking about France & Italy then there wouldn't be - just the same as if you flew between France & the non-EU country of Norway
Jun 19th, 2006, 03:35 PM

norween has already answered in the first reply. The whole thing has nothing to do whether a country is EU. It has everything to do with whether a country is Schengen.

bob_brown - do you live in Atlanta? I have never heard of arriving passengers going through security IF they're not continuing on a connecting flight. But I have never arrived into ATL from overseas.