Etiquette in Viennese coffee houses

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2023, 05:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll be visiting Vienna for the first time this fall and just want to check out proper behavior in coffee houses. Some of what I've read makes it sound as though staying as long as you want to is acceptable, such as spending several hours in a Barnes and Nobles pouring over books while drinking coffee. Or should we leave as soon as we've finished our coffee and miss out on the wonderful activity of people watching?

Thanks for your insight.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 06:16 AM

I"ll admit I don't understand the whole "people watching" thing, which sounds like stalking and is creepy to me. But I am not clear on what you intend to do, just sit at a table and watch people for hours when you have nothing to eat or drink? That sounds really boring to me, anyway.

Barnes and Noble is a bookstore, not quite the same thing and it isn't really that popular where I live as a place for people to just go and do nothing but people watch. I think in the US at least some people go to Starbucks or B&N (I guess, we only have one in my entire city, I think) to do work because it has free Wifi and they are bored sitting at home, I guess.

They won't rush you out in Vienna, no, so you can take your time, but I think common courtesy would be that you should leave if it appears busy, and they need the table and you are doing nothing.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 08:07 AM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
I am sure the staff will drop a hint when it is time.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've never been hustled out, but I don't want to watch other customers. Generally, partially to the lower tipping culture, you get less pressure to receive the check/cheque/bill than you might in NA. So as the customer you are in charge. Turning the tables does occur but only in less pleasant places.
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 10:40 AM
Original Poster

Sorry, I guess I phrased that incorrectly. I certainly didn't mean I wanted to stare at people, but especially at outside cafes, just watching the world go by and soaking up the atmosphere while chatting or planning the next day's activities with a friend and yes, eating/drinking slowly. Not just leaving the second I've finished my last sip of coffee. I understand the coffee is very good and probably less expensive than in the US
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 10:50 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Clousie
Sorry, I guess I phrased that incorrectly. I certainly didn't mean I wanted to stare at people, but especially at outside cafes, just watching the world go by and soaking up the atmosphere while chatting or planning the next day's activities with a friend and yes, eating/drinking slowly. Not just leaving the second I've finished my last sip of coffee. I understand the coffee is very good and probably less expensive than in the US

Absolutely NO need to apologize - I'm pretty sure most of us knew exactly what you meant (and can't fathom it being considered 'stalking' (!) ) I think 'people watching' is a totally normal thing. You'll be fine sitting for a while soaking up the surroundings - no need to rush out. Plus you'll probably want a 2nd cup, or pastry anyway
Old Aug 19th, 2023, 11:01 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
ah, I thought you meant inside coffee houses, outside there will be even less pressure unless it doubles as a say a restaurant and they need the space for lunch/supper (BTW inside is where the decorations are more interesting, the smell of cake and coffee can be more enticing etc etc.)
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 03:35 AM

Coffeehouses are like living rooms. You go there to meet with friends, have coffee and cake in the afternoon. So I wouldn't overthink it. You'll have great coffee there, you can order a leisurely second cup, something to go with it, and relax.

Tip: I wouldn't set my sights on central, but on other places, less prominent in guidebooks and on instagram.
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

I don't have my sights set on any particular coffee house, so if you have a favorite, I'd be interested in knowing what you've found.
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 09:36 AM

For me, that's Wortner https://www.wortner.at/ and Ritter https://www.caferitter.at/
Old Aug 20th, 2023, 12:56 PM

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by menachem
For me, that's Wortner https://www.wortner.at/ and Ritter https://www.caferitter.at/
Thank you.
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 04:03 AM

Unless you're in one of the super busy tourist places (cafe Central, Demel etc) then the culture is to take your time and spend as long as you want drinking your coffee, reading the paper, or doing whatever else! So don't worry at all. Don't expect nice table service though, as Vienna has this rather strange pride in its obnoxious wait staff, who sometimes give the impression that your custom is neither required nor wanted! Don't take it personally, and remember that the Viennese coffee houses are where many of the 19th centuries greatest thinkers gathered for hours on end to put the world to rights!

Also totally agree that people watching is normal, and that anyone who considers that as 'stalking' and 'boring' is missing a great deal of what makes travel so interesting!
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 04:16 AM

our favorites are Cafe Sperl and Cafe Phil, both very close to Museumsquartier