January 6 in San Sebastian

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m trying to fit in a 10 day trip from Los Angeles in January, and the fast connections to the Basque area and Paris are very appealing. It’s one place we’d bookmarked and had to cancel, so I’d really like to go there.

I see that Epiphany, January 6, is a big celebration in Spain, though it looks like the Telmo Museum in San Sebastian would still be open that day. What should I expect as far as restaurant closures, etc.? Also, would the weather be similar to here, with perhaps a bit more rain? I appreciate any advice you can give. Thank you!
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 10:45 PM

You can probably expect rain.
When we attend the Tamborrada on Jan. 19-20 it often does rain but not for the entire day. Last year on Jan. 20, it rained in the early morning hours but became bright and sunny for the children's Tamborrada in front of the Town Hall, but the high was only 43 degrees Fahrenheit (6 Centigrade).

The big Magi Kings' parade will take place the evening of Jan. 5.
As to museum closures, the city of San Sebastián doesn't have many museums other than the San Telmo and the Naval/Maritime Museum. The Untzi Museoa, the Naval Museum, will be closed on Jan. 6.

As to restaurants, some will be open but not the Michelin-starred ones that close for a number of days in the winter season.
Narru, our favorite downtown restaurant, in the Hotel Arbaso will surely be open as will La Jarana in the Hotel Lasala Plaza, Astelelena 1997 in the Old Quarter and Zazpi in the San Telmo Museum (very good). Also Saltxipi for fine seafood (pricey). You'll have options.

The above except for Narru. can be booked now on www.thefork.com

The Cabalgata de Reyes (the Magi Kings' Parade) begins at 6 pm on Boulevard the evening of Jan. 5.

Last edited by Maribel; Oct 2nd, 2023 at 10:54 PM.
Old Oct 2nd, 2023, 10:58 PM

Weather in Donostia-San Sebastian is not like the Mediterranean, it´s the rough Atlantic ocean (in fact, the Cantabrian sea) and all northern Spain is cold and rainy during winter (and throught the year rain is always a possibility). Jan 6 is a national holiday in Spain, expect bars and many restaurants to be open, but for locals it´s mostly a big lunch at home, similar to Christmas day.
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 09:56 AM
Original Poster

Thank you both - information from the two of you is the best! As I said, I am trying to find a place that’s warmer than, say, Amsterdam - and has flights I can more easily and quickly access. The original plan, earlier this year, was to go to San Sebastian with my husband right now (in October), but it fell by the wayside for many reasons and we had to cancel the whole trip (sobbing sound now...). So I am trying to come up with an option for January, so I don’t have to wait a year!

Do you think an enjoyable time can still be had in Bilbao and San Sebastian? I understand it will be colder than Southern California and may rain, but is it still worth going? We would probably do a pinxos tour, see some museums, walk around. Like amazing food but it’s ok if we miss some of the Michelin starred restaurants.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old Oct 3rd, 2023, 11:56 PM

The Basque Country is a great place to enjoy fantastic food, landscapes, architecture, traditions, dances, singing, hiking...you name it! Food is great all over the place, no need for Michelin restaurants if it´s OK with you. If you can arrive during Christmas time, or after New Year and until Jan6, you´ll enjoy a wonderful atmosphere in our streets.
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 12:08 AM

What Mikel said…we never miss an opportunity to visit, and soon I hope!
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 05:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you! Turns out we will need to go after January 9 (work commitments) so will miss the celebrations of the 6th. But any time sounds great.

again, thank you for your quick and helpful replies. 👍✈️
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 06:31 AM

The Tamborrada that begins at midnight on Jan. 19 and ends at midnight on Jan. 20 is a wonderful time to be there, as long as you don't mind listening to constant drumming and the same songs played over and over again. The children's Tamborrada in the afternoon of Jan. 20 is so colorful, each group in beautiful costumes and watching them is a real treat. They parade up to the Town Hall Square.
If those dates work for you...

We stay at the new-ish Hotel Intur Villa Katalina, which is usually well priced for January, well run, nice staff and very convenient. The Arbaso is also quite nice, a step above, thus pricier, right in front of the Catedral del Buen Pastor and houses the excellent Narru restaurant. Another very nice 4-star, the Roommate Gorka.
For bay views, the Lasala Plaza, the Londrés y de Inglaterra, the Villa Favorita (luxury) or the Niza.
For deluxe short term rental apartments, FeelFreeRentals (lots from which to choose).

About this 24 hour event,
https://www.euskoguide.com/festivals...sebastian-day/.

Last edited by Maribel; Oct 4th, 2023 at 06:39 AM.
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 10:07 AM

I may add Legazpi Suites to the excellent recommendations of Maribel.
Old Oct 4th, 2023, 11:10 AM

I absolutely agree agree about Legazpi Suites.