Entry Tax for Italy?

Search

Entry Tax for Italy?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10th, 2009, 07:32 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Entry Tax for Italy?

Is there an entry tax for Italy? Some air fare quotes seem to indicate that they include "taxes." Others seem to indicate there's an additional entry tax.
Old Aug 10th, 2009, 07:47 PM

I've not had to pay any additional money above the taxes included with the plane ticket. I think there's a departation fee for leaving the US but I don't pay much attention to the additional taxes on a plane ticket.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 05:11 AM
ira

Hi abou,

Those of us from the US don;t pay an additional fee to enter Italy.
Where are you from?

Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM

I agree, and am pretty sure at least Americans pay no entry tax...though we are taxed on flights out of the States. In general though I've never heard of one.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 11:53 AM

"Taxes" often refers to all the extras on top of the basic price of the ticket. So all the airport fees, eco-tax, VAT, fuel surcharges and the like. European sites must include all taxes and surcharges in the fare quoted, but I'm not sure that the rest of the world has this requirement. So you may get on company quoting fares including all taxes, and another a much cheaper fare which is excluding the taxes, which will be added on before you make your payment.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:01 PM

On top of taxes and charges already included in your ticket, some countries do levy a tourist tax (sometimes disguised as visa fee) which you must pay on arrival, usually in cash. Nowhere in Europe to my knowledge. But Turkey is a good example. Though it's officially a fee for Turkish visa, if you don't have a pre-obtained visa in your passport, on arrival most nationalities have to line up at a small window and hand over around 15 euro or $20 for a visa sticker in your passport. No application form to fill in, no checking of documents - just hand over cash to get a sticker, before you go to passport control, where your passport is stamped. Some third-world airports have departure tax which you again have to pay in cash (or sometimes there is a vending machine that takes cards).
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 12:59 PM

"Some third-world airports have departure tax . . ."
Italy charges a departure tax, currently e7.46 which is included in the taxes and fees when you purchase your ticket. Italy does not charge an arrival tax. Some airfare booking software (itasoftware is one)will break out the taxes and fees. In addition to the Italian Embarkation tax, there are also Italian security charges, a City Counsel Tax (at least at FCO) and Italian Passenger Service Charges.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:02 PM
yk

UK airports also have a departure tax. It is included in the price of the plane ticket.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:09 PM

actually, I take back my comment that Italy charges a departure tax - it looks like the Embarkation tax applies to flights within Italy.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:13 PM

I was talking about those airports that require you to pay departure tax in cash or by card when you actually fly, not included in the ticket price. I know most airports charge some kind of departure tax/passenger service fee etc, but usually included in the fare.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:18 PM

I know it is not in Europe but New Zealand charges a departure tax payable in cash at the airport.
Old Aug 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM

There is neither an entry tax nor a departure tax.

Airports (and seaports) charge fees - everywhere in the world. But these fees (included in the ticket price) have nothing to do with taxes. When you cross the border on the road, you have to pay nothing.