Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Enought time between Scavi and Vatican tour?

Jun 16th, 2004, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

We have reservations to do the Vatican Scavi tour on Monday, July 5 at 9:30 a.m. We also wanted to do a tour of the Vatican the same day. The one we were looking at begins at 12:00 starting from outside the metro stop Ottaviano at the news-stand.

Will we have enough time to get from the Scavi tour to the Vatican tour? I wasn't sure how long the Scavi tour lasts and how long it would take to walk from one area to the other in St. Peter's Square. It would appear we definitely wouldn't have time for lunch, so I guess we could bring along some snacks to eat while we were walking or waiting.

Comments?

Jun 16th, 2004, 08:20 AM

No problem.You'llhave plenty time.
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:42 AM

jabez is correct. Depending on the enthusiasm of your guide, the Scavi tour is typically 60-90 minutes long.
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:48 AM

I don't remember exactly how long the Scavi tour was. I do remember that it was well worth the money and effort. The Ottavian stop is about 4 blocks walk from the Vatican and probably would only take 10 to 15 minutes to leg it over there.
Jun 16th, 2004, 08:56 AM

The Ottaviano stop is about four blocks from the entrance to the Vatican Museums, but it about another six blocks to St. Peter's Square, plus more to the back of the Basilica where the Scavi tour ends. It will take at least a half hour to walk from where the tour leaves you to the metro stop. Our Scavi tour lasted nearly two hours several years ago, but a lot of that time was wasted trying to get a claustrophobic teenager together. Even with a ninety minute tour and a half hour walk, you should be able to make it but it is a good idea to have some snacks with you or grab a panino at one of the yellow vending trucks on the way.