Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

enjoyrome.com- Naples, Sorrento, Pompeii Bus Tour

Aug 31st, 2003, 04:48 AM
Original Poster

From what I understand they give you about 2 1/2 hours at the ruins in Pompeii. I am interested in this tour because I would like to get a "taste" of Naples & Sorrento- but is that taste just the factories that they bring you to, or is there actually time to walk around? The shuttle-bus option they offer also gives about 2 1/2 hours to my understanding. If this tour isn't worth it because of the stops, is there any other equivalent tour with another company? I would like to do both Pompeii & Naples as a long day trip from Rome. I'll be with my father so I wanted to try and make it as stress-free as possible.
Aug 31st, 2003, 04:51 PM
Original Poster

I figured I'd top this by adding more info. I have read a detailed description of how to do this on our own on http://twenj.com/itpompeii.htm
My father is in good shape, and speaks Italian, but I guess I am just trying to find an easier way to do it. And, if we do it on our own is it feasible to walk around Naples a bit before going back to Rome or would that be completely exhausting?

Sep 1st, 2003, 12:36 AM

There is one minor mistake in those directions. The walking directions inside the Naples Train Station should read Centrale and not the Garibaldi train station.
Basically the same station just on different levels, go to either one from Rome and just follow the signs to the Circumvesuviana.
Regards, Walter
Sep 1st, 2003, 02:51 AM
ira

Hi AP

You and your father know how much walking he can take in one day.

Pompeii can be very hot. Bring umbrellas for shade and plenty of water. The Archaeological Museum in Naples is where all the good stuff from Pompeii is kept. It is on the subway line from the train station.

See www.multimap.com
Sep 2nd, 2003, 02:38 AM
Original Poster

ttt