Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

English to English translation requested.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 12:47 PM
Yank

A friend pulled this lead and follow-on from UK paper the Star and asked me what the heck it meant. I couldn't tell him, although it appears to be about kissing. Can someone help us out, here in the colonies? <BR> <BR>"Snog on the fine" <BR> <BR>"KISSING: Good for you, and can lead to more. Although Polly's keeping her claws crossed..." <BR> <BR>"KISSING can make you live longer - so say boffins who've paid lip-service to the humble tongue sarnie." <BR>

Old Sep 28th, 2001, 12:51 PM
Duncan in the Uk

The first thing would appear to be a play on words with the 1960s song, Fog on the Tyne (the river that runs through Newcastle, UK), by the group Lindisfarne. Snogging means kissing and generally cuddling. The last two appear to be tabloid slang.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 03:39 AM
The Boffin

Claws crossed = fingers crossed = wishing/hoping <BR> <BR>Sarnie = sandwich <BR>So tongue sarnie = deep kissing!

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 06:23 AM
Yank

Thanks, friends. But why the reference to Polly -- is this a reference to a parrot? A non-late parrot? Bird=girl? <BR> <BR>And what's a "boffin"? On this side of the pond, one may speak of "boffing" a sex-partner -- related term or something else entirely? <BR> <BR>

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 07:11 AM
John

"Boffin" = (self-serving?) "expert." Both the BBC and CNN suffer plagues of boffins at crisis times. I will try to find a hilarious old thread called "Britspeak" and top it.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 11:08 AM
Yank

Thanks for the topper -- enjoyed it. <BR> <BR>I love the word "boffin" -- we are overrun by such at this time.

Old Sep 29th, 2001, 01:57 PM
xxx

"Boffins" have to be scientists-they invent things or are too clever for the rest of us