Where to stay on Amalfi Coast

Sep 16th, 1998, 10:45 AM
Claire

Where to stay on Amalfi Coast

Three single girls are planning a trip to the
Amalfi coast in early September, 1999. So far
we've decided to see Rome for 2 days, then drive down to the coast, but don't know which place to stay. We're leaning toward Positano, but not sure. We want a very, very nice hotel (we've all stayed at bad ones and don't want to do it again!) A beach is important. Any suggestions would be very welcome. Thanks!

Sep 16th, 1998, 11:04 AM
Connie

We were there several years ago and stayed at the Pensione SOLE. I think the address is Via Largo della Zecca. It was very nice, friendly and not expensive.

Sep 17th, 1998, 11:36 AM
Tony Hughes

Claire,I think you would be better off in Sorrento than Positano.It's all round more accessible and easier.Beaches are a problem as the Amalfi coast doesn't lend itself to sandy coves, the few it does have are mainly private or owned by the expensive hotels and they charge quite a bit for use. Sorrento meanwhile has bathing platforms to sunbathe on and these are cheap to get on to.Sorrento is livelier than Positano but not overtly loud or spoilt.Any more infoon this area just ask.Enjoy

Sep 22nd, 1998, 02:07 PM
demi

Hi Claire - Like Tony said - GO TO SORRENTO instead. I was there last August and boy all I kept saying to myself was "CAN I BE SINGLE FOR A DAY HERE??????" You'll love it.

Sep 23rd, 1998, 05:54 PM
tina

My husband and I were fortunate enough to stay in Positano on our honeymoon and unfortunate to stay in Sorrento!! True, Positano isn't very lively, but if you want breathtaking vistas in this seaside town, this is the place to be. We actually left Sorrento early because it looked like an old resort town gone bust. And beaches...you couldn't get me off the beach in Positano. There is a beautiful expanse of beach at the bottom of the hill. Stop in Sorrento, see the teenage crowds, then move on to Positano. Best hotel: Palazzo Murat. (keep that a secret La Sirenuse is classified as "the best" but very expensive and an older group of people we found frequented that hotel. Your nightlife will consist of fine dining at the wonderful restaurants on the water. Have fun.

Sep 29th, 2001, 03:20 PM
xxx

topping