England with Family of 5 - Lodging Tips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip to England with my wife and kids -- 18, 16, 12. Normally in the states we stay at a Comfort Inn, all pile in one room with a rollaway and save money on the breakfast. For this trip, I can't find a way around getting 2 rooms. I've looked into Choice Hotels and the Premier chain. It still looks like it will run as $350 - $400 a night -- at least in London. Gulp!

Any suggestions to bring that price down and still be in a relatively comfortable, safe spot?

The last time my wife and traveled we had a Eurail pass and backpack and stayed in hostels. Is there a similar way to travel if you have an adventurous family and limited funds?

BTW, our tentative itinerary is London 3 nights/Stratford 1 night/Oxford 1 night/London 1 night.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:12 PM

Rent an apartment for a week. Oxford & Stratford upon Avon are easy day trips from London.

With the exception of the 12yr old none of your "kids" are children - they are adults and so will pay adult fares.

Many sights in London are free and for most of the rest you can use the offers on daysoutguide.com which will half the cost for the 4 adults in your group.

As you are staying for 7 days a 7 day Travelcard is the best option - however you can only buy the "correct" Travelcard for the above offers in central London at a main train station like Victoria.

For travel outside London a Family & Friends Railcard will reduce the cost of train tickets somewhat.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 12:30 PM

Check my name, I've written more than once about how to take advantage of the Days Out Guide 2for1 deals. And yeah, you need an apartment.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 01:05 PM

Bid for London Hotels on Priceline - and get 2 rooms. I have done this twice with kids (teenagers and up) and gotten decent rooms for no more than $91 a night per room. I bid on 4 star hotels so I got Hilton's, Copthorne and Holiday Inn. All larger chain hotels. I agree with the poster who said Avon and Stratford are day trips - no problem at all. Check Biddingfortravel.com for tips and current prices on Priceline. I can't imagine paying $400 a night - in that case - stay in the countryside and out of London and save money that way (come in like a commuter).

Priceline hotels don't always include breakfast in the rate, but there are always the local coffee or cafe places - usually much better than the hotel anyway. I like S. Kennsington area and then take the tube or buses around. (I prefer buses - so you can see. If speed is more important, take the tube. Yes, London has traffic jams - but not always. Take the tube during commuter hours and get the press of humanity that way).
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 01:54 PM

You could try checking out Youth Hostels. They are no longer just youths in dormitories and have family rooms too. http://www.yha.org.uk/

But an apartment would be good too
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:09 PM

I like alanRow's suggestion. An apartment, with day trips to Oxford and Stratford upon Avon, sounds perfect for your family.

I would also check the YHA link alihutch gave you for London, though both Oxford and Stratford upon Avon have YHA hostels as well. We stayed at the YHA in Stratford; it's outside town and we had a really hard time finding it. But it was a nice place, once we finally arrived.

Lee Ann
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 02:11 PM

Travelodge.com.uk. Just checked for June 16. You gave no date of travel. 55 Pounds per night, per room. There are probably 20 Travelodges in the area. Some are upto 150 pounds per night, depending on where you stay. Eatp.com is also a cheap option, but it is in Barking, a train ride away from London proper. Beside the Etap is a Hotelformule1.com. HF1 is a cheap option, but bath and shower are down the hall.
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 03:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
alanRow's idea is best and will save you a ton of ££.

4 stopovers will cost more. You can rent a nice 1 bdrm or smallish 2 bdrm flat for less than £1000 and maybe as little as £600 for a week. That is only $135 to $225 a night for all 5 of you. Plus you get a full kitchen w/ washer/dryer and a heck a lot more space than 2 small hotel rooms.

Day trips to Oxford and Stratford are totally doable by train.

just as a 'for instance', look over this site http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~hamlet_uk/index.htm

2 bdrm 1.5 flat across from the Tower of London for £929 a week (approx $210 a night)
Old Jan 26th, 2011, 04:36 PM

Definitely go for an apartment - and try for one with 2 or at least 1.5 baths. When traveling with my 2 tween/teen daughters we always got 2 rooms so 1) we weren;t joined at the hip every moment (a sure cause of frayed nerves and 2) there is no way I would share a bath with 2 girls hwo take the best part of an hour each in the bath to get ready in the am.

the places you are going are easy day trips - so an apt is a great idea. Id on;t see how you can do Priceline with 5 - since rooms are for 2 only - and many are too small to bring in a roll-away - even if the hotel would do it without extra charge.