England to Normandy

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 10:36 AM
Cheryl

England to Normandy

We are traveling to Britain and Wales in September and are interested in a side trip for one day to see Normandy. Has anyone taken the ferry from Bournemouth to Cherbourg? Can it be done in one day?
Thanks for any input.

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 01:46 PM
Rex

You could probably fly to Dinard and back on www.ryanair.com for a 24 hour trip, maybe a even a same day one (didn't check their schedules).

Best wishes,

Rex

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 04:48 PM
ttt

topping

Old Aug 13th, 2002, 11:05 PM
Jan

There is no ferry service between Bournemouth and Cherbourg. However you can do a day trip using the ferry between Portsmouth and Cherbourg, (I've done it myself!). You need to catch the first fast ferry of the day at 7.00am which gets you into Cherbourg at 10.45am french time. You will have about 8 hours in france before catching the last fast ferry of the day at 7.00pm. Check out the P&O web site at www.poportsmouth.com.
Condor ferries also run a fast ferry between Poole and Cherbourg, I have no direct experience of this but you can check them out at www.condorferries.co.uk/home

Old Aug 14th, 2002, 01:12 AM
Jim

The only real way to do a day trip to Normandy is from Newhaven to Dieppe. Cherbourg is a toilet in any case, and Dieppe quite a quaint fishing port,with a charming Saturday market

I'd suggest Brighton for the pre and post overnights (I really should work for the Brighton Tourist board) get the train to Newhaven then the ferry.

Check out for schedules
http://www.hoverspeed.co.uk

A very nice day trip, you should arrive in time to wander around the market in the morning, have a nice seafood lunch, stroll around the town, have a look at the Cathedral and be back in Brighton in time for dinner.

Any use?