England ?'s Flats/Day Trips

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a couple posts started already, and I'm sure I'll have more as we're figuring out the trip! 5 days in London...someone suggested getting a flat. Started looking them up but the prices range so drastically, how do you know what's what? What is a good area for a reasonable cost? Don't know much about the UK, but do they ever have jacuzzis/whirlpools? Looks like maybe in the building sometimes, but ever in the individual flat? I'm sure this would cost more but just curious.

My other question, would it make more sense to take day trips from London to Salisbury/Stonehenge/Bath and Cotswolds/Warwick/Stratford-upon-Avon areas or to rent a car after London and spend a day or two at each? Considering going to Cornwall after London (followed by Birmingham area) and could fit both short trips in either before or after Cornwall. I saw some day trips/tours offered on a website that leave from London, are these worth the money or is it more economical to get a car and see them on our own since we will be passing by the areas anyway?
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 02:35 PM

Planning a trip for next year, and I am obsessing over the apartments listed on VRBO.COM. Can narrow down the choices by area. Check it out. It helps to get a map of London, mark the places you want to see, check out the availability of tube stations near your apartment, then work on narrowing down your choices.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 02:43 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I only have time for a short note right now (I've posted to your two other threads)

But just two quick points. 1) Few flats will have a jacuzzi tub but there are some. Just read the flat's description - they will say if there is a spa tub since that would be a big deal. The sorts of flats normally rentable for short term won't be in buildings w/ a health club/community pool/hot tub/spa.

and 2) get out a map of England/the UK. If you check you'll see that Bath, the Cotswolds and Warwick/Stratford are on or just off the direct route from Cornwall to Stoneleigh Park/Birmingham. It really makes no sense to zig zag from London to Bath/the Cotswolds/Warwick, back to London then down to Cornwall and up to B'ham..
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 02:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Oh - meant to add 3) Before booking a flat it is probably a good idea to pass it by the forum for advice. Some landlords do take a bit of "license" when describing their location.
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help! Was thinking that about the two trips, just didn't know if it was better to stay in one location and do the guided trips. But I think we will do it on our own. Maybe one on the way to Cornwall and one on the way up to Birmingham. Will definitely check in about the flat, have no idea where to even start looking. Will start figuring out which sites we want to see and go from there!
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 11:12 PM

Quite a lot of new developments will have some sort of communal gym/spa facilities including a jacuzzi - it's considered de rigeur for developers trying to attract yuppies and the corporate market. Many of these will be bought to let, and some may well come on to the holiday let market

BUT

most are in regenerating areas, like Docklands (convenient for commuters), but not in central London or areas like Kensington/Mayfair/Bloomsbury that are popular with visitors who may want to drop in and out during a day's sightseeing.

And I second janisj's advice about double-checking a description, and add to it the thought that if the advert makes a great thing of having a jacuzzi, you have to ask what it's NOT telling you.