England Countryside or London

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:44 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be going to Africa next August and instead of going to Capetown for 3 days after Safari we have opted to just use our layover in London because Capetown adds a great deal of extra flights and time. My husband and I have both been to London before but not together, and I know how costly London is, and after spending a small fortune on a Safari just prior we were hoping to keep this portion of the trip more affordable.

So, with all that said is there an area you would recommend outside of London that is easy to get to by train, less expensive than London and we would enjoy spending a few days getting back to civilization after Safari? It might be that we just bite the bullet on London costs to have the variety of activities of the city but would like your ideas on alternatives.

Thanks!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:55 AM

York, under 2 hours from London by train
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:31 AM

Try London four or five star Mayfair hotel on Priceline. You can probably get a decent rate (I did, $120 for the Waldorf Hilton on Aldwych Lane). Of course, York is wonderful but with that kind of travel commitment you may prefer to spend your time enjoying London. Bath is another option.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:19 PM

Salisbury - only an hour or so by train.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:55 PM

Brighton
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:03 PM

We can all suggesat niceish places on the railway. There are, quite literally, thousands of them.

But Brighton, York and Salisbury are all hugely different - and none, by any stretch of the imagination, could be called "countryside". So before anyone else tells you how nice Stoke Poges is, how about telling us what sort of place you really want?

Kingham and Liverpool both meet your criteria. Few people wouod be happy in both.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 01:54 PM

I second York. Large enough for lots of places to see and visit. Train/bus service to Whitby on the coast as well as Scarborough. Only a short hop to Durham and a total of two hours up to Edinburgh.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
There are hundreds of places that would be perfect. But if you really like London and are only worried about the costs -- as mentioned above, Priceline is absolutely terrific for London.

Check out biddingfortravel.com for the lists of London hotels and how much people are paying.

If you really want to get out of the city, tell us what sorts of things you enjoy.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 02:21 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you as all of these places give me a start on researching. I did not love London when I was there before but it was at the end of a two month European trip (I was tired) and it rained the entire time so giving it a second chance isn't a bad thing. I did not realize that I could use Priceline for London, we use it often here so that might work.

Otherwise, for what I would look for outside of London-I have been to Tuscany a number of times and enjoy visiting the quaint towns, wandering and drinking wine. So we would be looking for something low key and charming in the countryside. But we would want enough there so we don't have to be traveling each day to see new things. We will be travel weary from Africa.

Your suggestions here already have helped. Thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:06 PM

Cambridge. Visit Kings College Chapel, walk on the backs, punt on the Cam, take the path to a pub in the next village or the path by the river to the tea room about a mile away. Do some brass rubbing.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 03:26 PM

I never see much about it mentioned on this board but I spent a few days in Harrogate a few years back & thoroughly enjoyed it. I was driving so I don't know about the train connections but I'd assume it's not difficult from London.