engadine questions

Apr 15th, 2007, 07:31 AM
dgd
Original Poster

engadine questions

Hello, All

Thanks to the suggestions of Cicerone and Ingo, we've decided to spend a week with our 3 young children in the Upper Engadine over New Year's 2007/2008. So now I have more questions! I've narrowed our destination down to Samedan or Pontresina, mostly because there's a good selection of apartments available in each for the period we'll be there. I've read that Samedan is more picturesque, but has fewer restaurants and resort amenities. If we stayed there would we need to hop on a bus every time we wanted to go hiking, skiing, skating, eat out, go for a horse-drawn sleigh ride,etc. (the Samedan website is in German, so I'm having trouble getting a sense of this)? On the other hand, is Pontresina that much less picturesque than Samedan? Given that it's necessary to make train connections in Samedan, would Pontresina make an ok base from which to explore the Lower Engadine? Which village would you pick?

Thank you for any help!
Apr 15th, 2007, 08:34 AM

Re: La Punt - it's small and actually consists of two different parts: one is La Punt, right on the main road through the Engadine (if the apartment is right on the road it is noisy and busy, lots of cars, trucks, buses) and on the rail route from the Upper Engadine to the Lower Engadine. The other part is Chamues-ch, which stretches from La Punt to the other side of the valley. It is quiet, untouristy, but on the other hand not very convenient to get around. No shortage of restaurants there, but for the usual things that tourists do you have to go somewhere else. Neither would be my first choice.

Samedan or Pontresina, eh? That's a win-win situation. Pontresina is definitely more of a tourist's place with more and more upscale hotels and restaurants (but also more expensive) while Samedan is where many locals live, go shopping etc. - but the latter also has its fair share of good hotels, restaurants etc. I personally have stayed two times in rental apartments in Samedan, once in winter and once in summer. I enjoyed it very much!

Neither Pontresina nor Samedan have skiing right in town. Samedan has the quicker access to the Corviglia skiing area (in Celerina, neighbouring village) and Corvatsch/Furtschellas (Silvaplana, Sils). Pontresina is closer to Diavolezza/Lagalb. Honestly, it doesn't make a big difference if the bus ride takes 10 minutes more - that's the time the bus takes between Pontresina and Samedan.

Samedan definitely has the better train connections. Pontresina's railway station is located down the hill (10 minutes walk) and from my experience the bus/train schedules are not really well timed.

It definitely is important where exactly your apartment is located. In Samedan you could end up far up the hill and in Pontresina many apartments are located in the district Muragls, which is far away on the norther end of town. Let me know which apartments you consider and I'll tell you if they are ok located.
Apr 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM

Ingo -- Could you tell me where the Pension Valtellina in Pontresina is? I understand it is on Via Maistra within 5 minutes of the post office. Are you familiar with it? I rented a room there thru the local travel agency so I hope it is OK. We will be there in late May and I understand many things are closed then so our choices were limited.
Apr 15th, 2007, 11:55 AM

It is in a central, but relatively quiet location. Everything what is open is in short walking distance (except railway station, this one is 10 minutes down the hill). In May most of the hotels (almost all) are closed. Expect a very quiet village. Frequences of buses/trains are reduced etc. Maybe the Muottas Muragl funicular will be open, but the other cable cars/gondolas etc. will be closed.

Cannot comment on the quality of the Pensione Valtellina, sorry.

If you prefer a somewhat livelier atmosphere I'd recommend Samedan. It's where the locals live.
Apr 15th, 2007, 02:56 PM

Thanks, Ingo. We will only be there two nights and the day inbetween. It is mainly a connecting place (sort of) between the Glacier Express and the Bernina Express. We'll probably visit Samedan and a couple other villages that day if the busses are running. I had some trouble getting this one place, so I don't think I'll try to find another one, but thanks for the advice.
Apr 15th, 2007, 06:54 PM
dgd
Original Poster

Ingo-you are too kind! I'm in the process of narrowing my apartment choices and will ask you about them when I've finished. Many thanks for all of your help. BTW, I've now had a chance to view your recent photos. They're beautiful! I'm so excited about going there.