Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Emilia Romagna, Venice trip questions/suggestions

I am planning a trip to Italy from May 12 - May 27. This is our itinerary:

Bologna 3 nights at Corono D'Oro 1890 Hotel

Montegridolfo 3 nights at the Palazzo Viviani

Area around Sirmione/Verona 5 nights hotel TBD
Possibly: Villa Cortine Palace, Terme di Sirmione,
Byblos Art Hotel, Villa del Quar, or Serego Alighieri

Venice 3 nights - Possible hotels: Ca;Nigra Lagoon Resort, Hotel Antico Doge, or Palazzo Sant'Angelo

Does anyone have any suggestions on the hotels (These or others) or interesting things to do and see in Emilia Romagna?

LaBellaDona
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:58 AM

I don't know how convenient they are by public transportation, but, if you have a car, Mantua and Montagnana are charming. They're north of Bologna, and definitely worth a stop on the way towards Verona.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:05 AM

I must say that your hotels in Bologna and in Venice (Ca Nigra) look fantastic. Have fun! If you want the name of a great alimentari on Via Oberdan in Bologna, just say (or write) the word.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 07:53 AM
Original Poster

yes - I would love the name!
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:42 AM

Salumeria Bruno e Franco, Via Oberdan, #16. I wrote a little about it in my report on eating in Bologna. It is much smaller than the famous Tamburini but with a great selection nevertheless. I have lots of information on restaurants in the same report; my favorite was Da Cesari. Also liked Gianni and Caminetto d'Oro but it is hard to imagine a meal there that is less than excellent if you take some care with your restaurant selections.

I hope you have a fabulous time and report back. I am curious as to how you decided on those particular hotels, as they are not the usual lodgings mentioned here on this site..
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

Ekscrunchy -
Thanks for the info. You asked about my choice of hotels. Well, I always give it a lot of thought because hotels are important to me. It really adds to my vacation. I usually start with Michelin, and then cross reference with my many books and, of course, the many online sources. For example, when I leave Bologna, I'm driving to Montegridolfo because I read, a few years ago, about this wonderful hotel started by the fashion designer Alberta Ferretti - and I've been wanting to weave it into one of my trips.

Thanks again for the Bologna info. I'll find your previous reports...

LaBellaDona
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:13 PM

I'm looking forward for a trip to Emilia Romagna in three years or more. I hope to stay south of the major cities in the hills. Then take the bus in and out and perhaps a train to the major cities.

Food, food and drink is my plan!
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:32 PM

Hi LaBellaDona,

I spent three nights at Villa Del Quar in October. The hotel has lovely grounds, and a very nice front desk staff. The restaurant, while considered 5 star (or so we were told) was very expensive, and pretty limited for entree choices. Three of our party of five found very little to eat (admittedly, they are picky eaters).
The breakfast was fresh, and substantial, and served on a pretty outside patio looking out at the pool. The rooms were good sized, mine was a step down to our bathroom, my mother's was two steps up (she stubbed her toe two nights in a row, but it was pretty funny). My only other comment is that the hotel was difficult to find, especially in the dark. All that being said, I would definitely stay there again, minus my travel companions.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Corono D'Oro is the only hotel listed in Karen Brown's guide for Bologna. I would have stayed there if I had not gotten an internet special rate at Baglioni.

I made a reservation at Acetaia Malpighi in Modena for a tour of their balsamic vinegar fermenting room. It was a small place and the tour was low key yet personal. The aroma in the fermenting room was heavenly. It was quite a hassle for a short visit. I bought as much different balsamic vinegar products as I could carry home as they did not ship them to the U.S.
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Here is my report, Bella Donna; the Bologna information is towards the end. My hotels were not nearly as nice as those you choose!

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34743272