Search

Eltz Castle

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 10:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eltz Castle

I understand there are two parking lots: upper and lower. It says somewhere that from upper parking it is short but steep walk down on paved road.
How steep is it if coming with 5 years child?
can do the way back uphill with the shuttle?

it also written that there is another route through forest with open fall on the sides so not recommended with children. Is it the way from the lower parking lot?

I am a little bit confused from the options. The easiest way is with shuttle but though of coming little time before the opening time (maybe less people) and also read that from upper parking lot all the way down there are great photo shots of the castle.
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 01:52 PM

Hi bat23, I am not sure how many responses you will get for your question as there are not so many Fodorites who do Germany at the moment. I know Burg Eltz but I can't remember the carparks at all. Fortunately many people know the Mosel well, here's hoping a few people have visited.

If you don't get so many responses, try asking the same on TripAdvisor. Russ or Bornheimgirl will know the answer there.

Lavandula

Last edited by lavandula; Oct 22nd, 2022 at 01:58 PM.
Old Oct 22nd, 2022, 03:22 PM

Received 21 Likes on 2 Posts
This is from our visit 19 years ago, but if the roads are the same ... here is the best way to go to Burg Eltz (hopefully someone has done this more recently). Below is from my trip report."

Rick Steves’ shortcut to Burg Eltz would save at least an hour’s time (both driving and hiking), and I endeavored to convey this valuable information to another couple from Texas at our hotel. I hoped the advice had not fallen upon deaf ears, because I could tell they were not in the mood for a long hike.

Our new friends from Texas departed for the castle ten minutes before we climbed inside our car. I read in Steves’ book not to follow the signs to Burg Eltz once reaching Moselkern, because those signs led to longer hikes up to the castle.

Instead, we ignored the Eltz signs in Moselkern and followed the signs to Munstermaifeld as he had suggested. We kept the faith even though it seemed we were headed in the completely opposite direction of the castle. After six kilometers we thought we were lost, but stuck to our convictions.

At seven kilometers, a “T” in the road materialized. Sure enough, signs to Burg Eltz were again in full view. We turned left and drove though Wierscheim. From that town’s exit sign it was only 2 kilometers to the Burg Eltz upper parking facility.

It was a pleasant 15-minute walk down to the castle from there.

Just as we were ready to depart the castle, we saw the tired and not-so-happy faces of two people who looked vaguely familiar. It was the other couple from breakfast. Obviously our hotel breakfast companions had not heeded our sage advice and were forced to go on the extremely long hike, and they were sweating bullets. “Would you like to get in the same tour as us?” they asked.

When we told them we had taken the shortcut I had told them about earlier that morning and that we had already enjoyed the tour, they looked at us incredulously. Then the woman gave her husband a stare that only another husband can look at in empathy (think Damien in The Omen and you would be close)."

Here is a photo I took from above the castle.

Last edited by maitaitom; Oct 22nd, 2022 at 03:27 PM.
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!!

Originally Posted by maitaitom
This is from our visit 19 years ago, but if the roads are the same ... here is the best way to go to Burg Eltz (hopefully someone has done this more recently). Below is from my trip report."

Rick Steves’ shortcut to Burg Eltz would save at least an hour’s time (both driving and hiking), and I endeavored to convey this valuable information to another couple from Texas at our hotel. I hoped the advice had not fallen upon deaf ears, because I could tell they were not in the mood for a long hike.

Our new friends from Texas departed for the castle ten minutes before we climbed inside our car. I read in Steves’ book not to follow the signs to Burg Eltz once reaching Moselkern, because those signs led to longer hikes up to the castle.

Instead, we ignored the Eltz signs in Moselkern and followed the signs to Munstermaifeld as he had suggested. We kept the faith even though it seemed we were headed in the completely opposite direction of the castle. After six kilometers we thought we were lost, but stuck to our convictions.

At seven kilometers, a “T” in the road materialized. Sure enough, signs to Burg Eltz were again in full view. We turned left and drove though Wierscheim. From that town’s exit sign it was only 2 kilometers to the Burg Eltz upper parking facility.

It was a pleasant 15-minute walk down to the castle from there.

Just as we were ready to depart the castle, we saw the tired and not-so-happy faces of two people who looked vaguely familiar. It was the other couple from breakfast. Obviously our hotel breakfast companions had not heeded our sage advice and were forced to go on the extremely long hike, and they were sweating bullets. “Would you like to get in the same tour as us?” they asked.

When we told them we had taken the shortcut I had told them about earlier that morning and that we had already enjoyed the tour, they looked at us incredulously. Then the woman gave her husband a stare that only another husband can look at in empathy (think Damien in The Omen and you would be close)."

Here is a photo I took from above the castle.

Thanks alot!!
Old Oct 26th, 2022, 05:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
or walk up from the railway station