Bur,g-Eltz castle, Germany

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Will be in Koblenz in mid-october 2006. From all the posts on fodors and other places Burg-Eltz castle is a must see!
What is the best way without a car to get to the castle from Koblenz?
Thanks for the help,
Mike
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:09 PM

Can't help you with the travel (we had a car), but you will love it. The castle was never attacked in 800 years so they have all their old stuff. It was great!
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Original Poster

kelliebellie,
Thanks so much for your fast reply.
Old Jan 13th, 2006, 09:56 PM

Mike,

It's a fantastic castle, and we enjoyed our visit immensely. We had a car, so I cannot help you with transportation.

You might try checking with your hotel in Koblenz to see if motor coach tours are available.

Woody
Old Jan 14th, 2006, 06:21 AM
rex

The official web site - - http://www.burg-eltz.de/e_anfahrt_index.html - - doesn't provide a lot of help, but maybe by train from Moselkern, you can do it the rest of the way on foot. If not, then a taxi might be affordable for a portion of the hike. No matter how you go, it is a hike, up a steep hill - - that's why no one ever took this castle - - its terrain is its natural defense.

You might also try a local tour guide to see if they have advice on local buses. A search of "Burg Eltz local transportation" yielded this "not exactly entirely relevant" hit: http://www.castlesoftheworld.com/Rhine - - but it dies give an e-mail address for Astrid Baur. Perhaps she will have other ideas to help you?

Report back here if you come up with a particularly good plan that proves successful to you.

Best wishes,

Rex
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 01:52 PM

I hope I'm remembering correctly, but I think someone had a posting sometime back that mentioned that one of the Rick Steves books had detailed instructions on getting to Burg Eltz. Including discussing the 3 or 4 different walking routes to the castle with advantages and disadvantages of each.

I wish I'd known about Rick Steves' books before we visited Burg Eltz--we ended up on the longest, most difficult trail on a day when the the temperatures hit almost 100 F.!

I was so tired and miserable and hot, plus I managed to twist an ankle on that trek--to the point that I didn't even do the castle tour on that trip.

Anyway, if no one can give you the info here, try Rick's books from your local library.
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:06 PM

Rick Steves book does indeed recommend taking the train to Moselkern. He also suggests that if the 80 minute uphill walk sounds too strenuous to take a taxi up from from Cochem (40 euros), Moselkern (18 euros) or Karden (23 euros). Then, you could make the much easier walk downhill to the Moselkern train station.
Regards, Gary
Old Jan 15th, 2006, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks,
I emailed the hotel I will be staying at in Koblenz about getting to Burg-eltz.
Mike
Old Jan 16th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Here the reply I recieved from the hotel. The best way would be to take the train. The train goes every hour from Koblenz Central Station in direction Trier. Your destination station is MOSELKERN and from the station you can have a nice walk to the Burg Eltz!
thanks