Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Eldorado Hotel/How much $/per day for the budget conscious?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:05 PM
Kim

Hi, Has anyone ever stayed at the H&ocirc;tel Eldorado in the 17th? It is supposed to be a charming and offbeat hotel that is a good budget choice. I am adventurous but I don't to rough it TOO much. It's 54 euro for a double. <BR><BR>Also..<BR>excluding airfare and hotel what can I expect to spend per day on food, museums, transportation etc. I am on a budget.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:08 AM

Kim, read a bit before you try posting, please...

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:31 AM
Kim

<BR>Ok Mister Whoever-you-are,<BR><BR><BR>I've read extensively about my upcoming trip to Paris,(Rough Guide, Time Out Guide to Paris,Lets Go etc. etc..I've surfed the web, including many related threads on this site. I've been to Paris before as well as several other spots in Europe and Aisa. Why are you so mean? I'm merely asking for specific advice from someone who's been to this particular hotel..does this describe you?? 'K then shut it. As for the budget, I haven't been to Paris in several years and I want to know what others' opinions are.<BR><BR>Thanks for your input.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:35 AM

Kim, I was trying to kindly suggest you figure out how this forum works before posting 3 times with limited success.<BR><BR>Good luck.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:35 AM
Kim

And Rudie,<BR>before you tear into me for a simple typo...Asia<BR><BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 11:37 AM
Kim

success only limited because people like you with useless comments give only response.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Christina

I haven't stayed at that hotel but from what I've reviewed of it online, I would not stay there. It's in a crummy part of town, the Batignolles area of the 17th--not only dicey but rather inconvenient for a tourist, it's a bit far out. You can find lots of hotels that cheap more well-known, closer-in (such as in the Marais/Bastille area or Latin Qtr). It sounds too offbeat for me and not that safe from what I read. I have no actual experience, however, that's just my gut reaction from reading about it, but I do know that area and would not stay there.<BR><BR>www.timeout.com has some good budget suggestions in the areas I mentioned above, more reliable, I'd say.<BR><BR>As for your overall budget, I really don't know, it depends on how much you want to eat and where. I'd plan on at least US$10 a day for museums and transportation; you could eat for only US$15-20 a day if you wanted by buying cheaply (cheap takeout from groceries, for example, or street vendors) and not eating a lot. Cafe drinks can add up, also, so if you don't do that you can save a lot, but what's the point, is my opinion. If I want to eat from groceries and not go to cafes, just buy drinks from vending machines, etc, I'll stay home. I like hanging out in Parisian cafes, though, that's one of the reasons I like to go to Europe--I spend hours reading the paper, chatting or whatever, so the usual tips of how much you can save by eating on street corners or never sitting down in a cafe don't appeal to me in the slightest. However, I don't go much to well-known or expensive cafes/restaurants nor do I usually eat in expensive places like St-Germain, so it evens out.<BR><BR>Bottom line, at least US$30 a day minimum, probably for those things.