Reload this Page >

Elderhostel? Feedback, please.

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2002, 01:48 PM
Margo

I recently became aware of the Elderhostel courses/tours. Has anyone taken any of these trips? How about content of course, what about hotels? Anything else to consider as compared to other tours? I know they are more budget conscious than some other companies but are the accommodations okay? What type of traveler was on these tours (other than over 55)? Thanks for the info.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:13 PM
Christina

I am surprised on one has commented on this so far, I would have thought someone would have gone. Maybe your post got lost and this will help. Personally, I can't say much except a friend of my mother's went on one (at least one I remember her talking about) and liked it very much. It was in the US, though, and I think the housing was in some dorm on a college campus and there was an educational theme. I imagine the housing accommodations were about like what they stated, and I do remember her saying she liked the group and excursion a lot. I think it tended to be a somewhat more educated group than a random package tour, and more interested in learning and arts and things other than the typical tourist attractions, from her comments. Sort of like a budget Smithsonian tour, maybe. She enjoyed it very much and felt it an interesting and compatible group for her (she was well-educated for her time period, had a college degree when that wasn't so common for women, back in 1925-1930, and had been an independent professional person her entire life).

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 01:48 PM
Dave

We have been on 3 Elderhostel tours in the US, and 2 overseas (Iberian Peninsula, Tanzania). They are excellent. They combine all the good sights with an excellent educational program. They are run without fault.<BR><BR>There are hundreds of tours in the US and worldwide, on most any subject you can think of. Those in the US can be in dorms, hotels, motels, condos, etc. You have to check the descriptions of the accommodations. The foreign ones tend to be all hotel, of high quality. We choose only those with private bath.<BR><BR>The people on the foreign trips I would say average 65-70 in age, but tend to be more intellectual and inquisitive. But just like any group, some people are more friendly than others.<BR><BR>They mail out huge catalogs 4 times a year, and you can see all the tours online.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:16 PM
Gretchen

They also tend to use very topnotch tour organizers in the slightly off season according to my travel agent friend who has been on them. When the catalog comes out some of the trips are so immediately filled it is done by lottery. You can get a free first catalog but eventually will be asked to subscribe for a very nominal $10.

Old Apr 24th, 2002, 02:18 PM
Gretchen

Sorry, punched the button too soon. The lecturers they have are also just top notch. You will have a real understanding of the area you are visiting if you take part in the whole program.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:34 AM
Susan

I have heard wonderful things about the Elderhostel trips. Have friends who have taken several trips in the U.S. and loved them. I also met a couple in Londdon last year who had just returned from a two week Cotswalds/Cornwall walking tour which they raved about. I think the people who go Elderhostel are generally well-educated types.

Old Apr 25th, 2002, 07:37 AM
xxx

I received one of their brouchures in the mail yesterday and was quite surprised by the high rates. Over $4,000 per person for 2 weeks in Europe. About double what I've found with other tour groups.