Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Has anyone stayed in one of the Albergo Milano in Varenna rooms with a lteral view of the lake and the bathroom outside of the room?

Has anyone stayed in one of the Albergo Milano in Varenna rooms with a lteral view of the lake and the bathroom outside of the room?

Apr 24th, 2002, 04:18 AM
Debby

Help

I hear such great things about this hotel, but all they ahve is a room with alateral view of the lake and the bathroom outside of the room. My husband is wary, but I am planning this trip and I feel adventurous.

What are the rooms like? Did you feel like it was worth it to stay in one of these rooms? Were you able to enjoy the view of the lake from your room?

We also have reservations at the Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio. But this has now become available in Varenna, and I'm wondering if we should switch. It's also half the price at the Albergo Milano.

thanks

Debby

Apr 25th, 2002, 04:54 AM
Debby

ttt

Apr 25th, 2002, 05:53 AM
kk

Rick Steves is a big fan of staying in Varenna. You might check out his hotel recommendations. All of them in Varenna are small because the town itself is small. If the albergo is the one I recall, it is right beside the ferry landing, right on the lake, and does look charming. Seems to me that you want to decide if you want to stay in a tiny, quaint place (Varenna) or a more booming one though still small-ish, Bellagio. Either way, you can get back and forth to both quite easily. I was there in April last year and it was quiet. If you are going to be there in the high tourist season, you just might want to opt for the albergo, quieter and cheaper rates. So, it really depends on what you want.
My husband also is not keen on bathrooms that are outside the hotel room, but I guess you have to weigh all these things off against each other.
Be sure to go see Villa Montero in Varenna. If you miss it, you will have missed the most glorious place in all of Lake Como!

Apr 25th, 2002, 06:31 AM
natasha

Debby,

I am staying at the Albergo Milano in May. On their website it says that all rooms have private bathroom. Are you sure that the bathroom is outside the room? When they wrote to me they said that all rooms have a bathroom. I am going with my Mother, she would not like the hall bathroom idea.
I would chose Albergo Milano with side view of lake over Bellagio, but I haven't been there yet.

Apr 25th, 2002, 08:01 AM
GAC

Debby: I visited the lobby and breakfast area of the Hotel Milano last year, and spoke with the former proprietor (but did not stay overnight). The property itself is VERY VERY intimate and romantic, perfect for couples (only 8 rooms in total, of which 4 with "lateral" lake views (although the REAL view is from the open air terrace in front where breakfast is served; the "lateral" views from these 4 side rooms are very partial indeed). I would stay at the Milano simply for the view from its public terrace, which is nothing less than terrific. I would enquire whether the bathroom is directly across the hall or adjacent to the room (rather than on a different floor), and whether you would be the only persons using the facility (which I gather to be the case, as the other 7 rooms all have en-suite baths). Personally, I would not be dissuaded from staying at the Milano simply because the bath is not en-suite, but this of course is a personal decision! The prices are reasonable, reflecting the lack of air conditioning. By the way, contrary to what is stated in a previous posting, the Milano is NOT by the ferry dock, but in the middle of the old part of town (the Olivedo is by the dock). All very quaint, charming and magical. You can walk to the ferry dock in about 5 minutes or so. On the other hand, the Hotel Belvedere in Bellagio has gotten superb reviews in this website (do a search), although it is rather more expensive than the Milano. I think you would be very happy in either hotel. In Varenna, be sure to tour the gardens of the Villa Monastero!