Eiffel Tower and Versailles

Old Oct 21st, 2013, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Eiffel Tower and Versailles

I was planning on buying tickets to the Eiffel Tower for first thing in the morning but they are already booked. I then read that twilight is a good time to visit. My questions:
If I do not buy tickets in advance, will there be long lines second week in November (week day)?
Is it better not to buy tickets and just see what the weather is like?
What are good times to go to the Tower if the early morning slots are already taken?

I will only be in Paris for three days. Is it worth it to go to Versailles? is half a day enough time? Will in be crowded in November?

Thank you.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 02:47 PM

Daylight Savings ends here (US) on Nov 2, but not sure about France, so you might check that before you buy. I believe going to the top requires tics but I think, if you are willing to walk and just go about 1/3 of the way up its easier to get tics then and there.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 02:54 PM

Re Versailles: you have some options about the amount of time needed, depending on how much you want to see. I think the basic self-guided tour can be done in a half-day, including travel time, but get the tix in advance so you don't have to wait in line.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 06:15 PM

Have a look at the official ET site and look for the Behind the Scenes tour info. Not only do you get to places others will not you'll also skip the lines and end up at the 2nd level. Many people find the 2nd level a better view than the top.

Think about going up the Montparnasse Tower... never a line, you can have a drink in a bar and you get to see the ET too.
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 06:30 PM

We did a short trip and Versailles was high on our list. Many folks said it can be done in half a day, but because it was amongst my top three sites we stayed the full day. My brief trip report might be helpful:

http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...rst-timers.cfm
Old Oct 21st, 2013, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Am I better off not buying my Eiffel Tower tickets online and wait to see what the weather is like?
Old Oct 22nd, 2013, 06:41 AM

I spent more than a half day at Versailles, I wanted to take my time and don't ever try to cram in a whole bunch of things in one day. So I'm sure I didn't stay until 5, maybe just 3 pm or so, but that was like a 10-3 day for me at Versailles. So I don't think a half day is enough time with the travel to/from etc, I think that would be rushing it and I wouldn't do it if I only had 3 days in Paris.

I've never been up in the Eiffel Tower as I've never wanted to do that, but I can see how twilight might be good if you like looking at cities in the dusk, and then some lights will be coming on in the city buildings. I think there isn't any secret reason as to time of day, it's just your personal preference as to why you are going up there and how you like to look at cities from tall buildings. But in terms of crowds, I do think that like many tourist attractions, it is most busy in the middle of the day. In November, I would think twilight would be fine, and of course, it is a lot earlier than twilight in summer.

AS for how longs the lines might be in November, I don't know, maybe someone else who knows more about the lines there can say. The thing is, even though November isn't as a big a tourist season as summer, the Eiffel Tower is one of the main tourist attractions in the city, so a lot of them go there and I would think the lines can still be long any month. I know buying timed tickets is the best way to avoid queues, but I can understand the weather issue. I think you can avoid queues if you are willing to walk up, and the tickets are cheaper, but it's a lot of stairs to the 2nd floor.

I don't quite understand why you won't buy tickets just because they aren't available first thing in the morning. If you have a timed ticket, what difference does it make, it sounds like you don't really care about the time of day in terms of the view.