Efteling Netherland

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Mike

Efteling Netherland

We intend to visit efteling next month and wanted to know if there is a diference visiting on a sunday or monday regarding crowdness of visitors.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 07:50 AM
Sjoerd

Could be busy on both days as July is school holiday month.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:18 AM
Mike

We have a choice on one of this days which one is preferable ?

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:20 AM
Tony Hughes

My author mate Seanies was there - Loved it...

A more gentle and sweet alternative to the color and noise of Movie World and Disneyland is De Efteling (loose translation: the magic forest), a fairytale-themed park in the Dutch province of Noord-Brabant.

The entrance is spectacular, clawing high into the sky and perfectly capturing the delicate balance between fun and fright, the essence of a good, weird European fairy tale.

Disneyland's equivalent is Sleeping Beauty's Castle, about which there is nothing particularly weird or European. There were crates of free apples at De Efteling and, in keeping with the park's theme, I couldn't help wondering if they might be poisoned. They weren't. In fact, they were delicious. It was a very good start.

In a move of startling originality, most of De Efteling is set in a dense and lovely forest (rather than several hectares of concrete and hot dog carts) which, appropriately, was very easy to get lost in.

The twisting, leaf-covered paths make it a very beautiful place to stroll around, even though I soon tired of seeing Hansel and Gretel stumbling around bawling. (I'd eaten their trail markers).

I had some sympathy for them, however - after this week, I knew how it felt to be trapped in a theme park. The strange thing is, I thought that for children around Hansel and Gretel's age it would be heaven on earth. But I suppose fun, like an excess of anything, can be fatal.

Compared with Disney's idea of a ghostly spectacle, the Spook House was decidedly low-key and low-tech, but it had noticeably human touches (like things not working properly) which gave it its own charm.

It's basically a ballet of shuddering tombstones, creaking doors, toppling balustrades and mysterious monks, all set to spooky music. I am pleased to say that of everything I did at all the parks I visited, this was the least thrilling. I loved it.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 08:26 AM
jen

Probably about the same, possibly Monday is less crowded. If the weather is great expect more crowds. I have been there in the rain and didn't have to wait in line for anything (this is rare!). My favorite: the Dream Flight (Droomvlucht).

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:17 PM
Shannon

I'm curious too. My son's teacher, who went there about 10 years ago, said they have talking garbage cans, which I thought was a curious thing.

Old Jun 28th, 2002, 01:48 PM
jenviolin

Curious but true, and the reason the place is so clean (they only talk when you feed them). And the mushrooms play Bach.