Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Edinburgh to Heathrow where to stop on the way down !

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16th, 2010, 08:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi
we are traveling by car from Wndsor (6 nights) Llangollen (maybe 8 nights) Ambleside (5 nights) Edinburgh (7 nights) from all of the above places we are branching out to see the sights.

Now we have to make our way down to Heathrow in 4 to 5 days any suggestions as to where to stop on the way down please?

thanks Deb
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 09:11 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
Since you are going up the west side -- I'd stop one/day night in Northumberland along Hadrian's Wall, 2 or 3 days in North Yorkshire (York, the Moors, the Dales, etc), and the last night at LHR or back in Windsor.

Or, possibly 1 night in the Borders, 1 in Northumberland, and 2 in Yorkshire.

But I might consider another option -- spend 4 days in another part of Scotland, drop the car at EDI or GLA and fly to Heathrow.
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 11:14 AM

I agree, rather than drive the length of the UK twice, use those days to travel further and return to Heathrow from Glasgow or Edinburgh. Alternatively consider the sleeper train run by firstscotrail which runs from several places in Scotland.

But one other question - why a week at Llangollen?
Old Oct 17th, 2010, 03:21 PM

<i>any suggestions as to where to stop on the way down please?</i>
York and Cambridge.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 07:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks I was thinking of just flying back to Heathrow but I think you have convinced me. I am using LLangollen as a base to Chester, Betws-Y-Coed, Conwy, Stoke on Trent and I wanted to take my husband to see Dinas Bran, Plas Newydd and the canals.

As I am staying in Scotland a bit longer any suggestions on self catering accommodation around Linlithgow or there abouts? I was going to stay in Edinburgh but expensive with parking. Want to check ot the Tossachs, Perth etc

thanks again Deb
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 08:55 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
OK - a thought-- you don't need a car in Edinburgh at all, so no need to park. So instead of staying near Linlithgow, consider renting a self-catering place In Perthshire or the NW part of the Trossachs. That would give you a base for everything from Glencoe to Loch Lomond to Stirling to Lochs Earn/Tay, to Killin to lots of other places. Then maybe in a B&B for 2 nights in Fife -- if my calculations are right that leaves you 3 days for Edinburgh. So drive to EDI, drop the car and spend the last couple of days in the city car-less. Airport bus back to EDI to catch you flight to LHR.

What is your budget for the week's self-catering?
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 05:18 AM

Somewhere near Dunkeld or Pitlochry or Gleneagles so you can get to the train easily
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

We were looking at 90 pounds a night (we were thinking of staying at Southside B&B stayed there 2 years ago excellent but as we were there for only 3 nights it was logical. But staying for a lot longer I thought a self catering would be practical. From what I have seen we won't have a problem. Acyually found a place called Dukes Cottage in Aberfoyle. I have been to Pitlochry very pretty the further you go up. My only concern is maing sure we get a flight to Heathrow and catch our flight home. Thinking of getting in the day before as it is an 11:00 a.m flight. We will be driving up from Grasmere (gave Ambleside a miss not alot of self catering accommodation there but found a great place called Beck Allans in Grasmere. So the above sounds great.
One more question we need to stay in the Windsor are at the start of our trip as we are (family thing) visiting Winchester/Vernhams Dean, have to go to Kew to check some records, visit Hever Castle and after 6 nights we are off to Llangollen. So need a self catering somewhere cntral to those places but having trouble finding anything thats not to expensive. Just thought someone might know of a place. Checked out some that are not bad. Thanks for all your help Deb