Need a stopping point between Rome and Switzerland

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Planning to fly to Rome next June for about 5 days. After that I'd like to stop at a coastal town before heading to Lucerne, Switzerland. Would like a town to hang out for 2-3 days near the ocean.

Please recommend some towns for me to consider. Doesn't necessarily have to have a great beach, but I would like to walk along the ocean. I'm not really interested in the Cinque Terre. So far, I think Ravenna, Rimini, and Pesaro might be good choices, but I'm open to suggestions.Thanks, Greg
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 07:05 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at Santa Margherita Ligure and Portovenere, both beautiful locations to break up your trip.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 07:32 PM

Rimini is wall-to-wall beach towels and sunscreen...

Ravenna is a nice no-big-deal town, the only (but an excellent!) reason tourists go there are the byzantine mosaics, out of this world!

I stayed for a few days of downtime once and had a nice time - there is a beach, not right there but not too far, and we took a local train past Faenza up into the hills, very nice. Ferrara is not far by regional train, a nice renaissance city of course for a quick excursion.
Old Oct 23rd, 2010, 08:08 PM

How about a sweet lake and not the sea?

Stresa, on Lake Moaggiore, is smack on the main rail/road line between Switzerland and Lucerne

Check out the Borremean Islands just off shore from Stresa - each of the three has a different and neat surprise on them - lots of boats from Stresa.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 02:07 AM

Portovenere is not on the train line, although a bus or taxi or ferry from La Spezia on the train line will get you there.

In rejecting le Cinque Terre (which makes sense to me!) are you rejecting the mass tourism scene, or are you uninterested in the Italian Riviera, period? There are less touristed places on the train line, on the coast with seaside walks. The hidden gem of them all is tiny Zoagli. A larger place with longer walks, many more restaurant choices and an altogether livelier Italian scene is Sestri Levante. Camogli and Rapallo have pleasant seaside strolls, as does the somewhat more touristy Santa Margherita Ligure. From any of these town, you can proceed northward to Milan and on into Switzerland.

I know less about the Adriatic towns, but if you are at all a fan of Fellini and layers of Roman and Renaissance history, the core of Rimini might very well appeal to you despite the presence of lots of modern holiday hotels fronting the sea. Cesanatico also gets high marks for charm and history plus food (but again, it's a popular holiday spot, with lots of modern condo-type hotels).

Much of the waterfront of Ravenna is taken up by its industrial port, but if you are on the Adriatic, a visit to its spectacular mosaics and altogether pleasant town (with nice food) is highly recommended.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 03:01 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the replies. I cut out Cinque Terre because I wanted to avoid the seaside cliffs and any steep streets. I'm a bit overweight and it would be more difficult for me to navigate. A flatter terrain would be better for me. Greg
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 03:24 PM

Santa Margherita Ligure !
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 06:18 PM

You say "A flatter terrain would be better for me." Another reason to look at Ravenna.

But it is not anywhere close to your itinerary from Rome to Switzerland - unlike the already suggested Borromean islands off Stresa. They are very popular with tourists, easy to get to and small, a leisurely stroll will get you around and in June with the new flowers and everything it should be lovely.

It is right on the fast train line to Switzerland, and just about all the fast trains stop in Stresa anyway.
Old Oct 24th, 2010, 11:36 PM

The train travel time from Rome to Rimini and Rimini to Milan is really no different than the train travel time from Rome to the Italian Riviera and the Italian Riviera to Milan. If you want to go to the Adriatic, it's no more out of your way.

You don't elaborate how steep a grade you want to avoid, but the train station of Santa Margherita Ligure is positioned uphill of the seaside promenade/waterfront. Taxis do help people with luggage if you need that, and they are usually positioned right outside the station during business hours. This picture gives you some idea of the grade of the town:

http://www.procedureman.com/uploaded...125-742680.jpg

The neighboring town of Rapallo has an entirely flat walk from the train station to the sea, plus a much longer seaside promenade.

http://www.hotel-santa-margherita.it...up_rapallo.jpg

Sestri Levante has the most variety and charm, I think, and is most frequently served by fast trains. It is a longer walk from the train station to the sea, but it is all flat (and there are taxis).

http://www.teleradiopace.tv/wp-conte...te-299x300.jpg

If you are headed to Switzerland, I can understand why you might like a few days by the sea rather than a lake. Just have to pick which sea!