Edinburgh in 2 days

Search

Edinburgh in 2 days

Search this Thread

Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh in 2 days

going to edinburgh from the 13th to the 15th of march. I know it's not much time to see the place, so i dont want to spend time going to crappy places. i'm 19, so "educational visits" are not high on my list of priorities. i know to go see the castle, and i'm staying near it, what else is there to do? emphasis on "fun"
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:41 AM

I went to Edinburgh in one day last month from London. I loved it - very beautiful city with the nicest people I've met. I saw the Edinburgh Castle, Palace of Holyrood,Britannia, Scotch Whisky Tour (it's 1/2 block from the Castle. I walked everywhere except to the Britannia (took the bus from Waverley Station).The electricity was out in half the city so there were some shops I couldn't go in, but felt I saw alot for one day.Bought some wool scarves at the weaving mill next to the Castle which were a big hit at home. Ate dinner at The Witchery which is next door to the Scotch Whisky Tour and it was one of the best meals I have ever enjoyed. Great atmosphere (only candles, dark plank ceiling).Cost me $50 but it was worth it. Fudge made only on the Brittania was wonderfullll!!!! Had the chocolate,cherry,coconut.The Scotch Whisky Tour was very enjoyable and I bought some Heather Cream (kind of like Bailey's Irish Cream) and some shortbreads to bring home. I bought the Walker brand and they were good but saw them for sale at Meijer's here I dragged 4 boxes around for nothing.I would get a guidebook and see what interests you. There is alot more to see than I had time for but I don't regret going there even if I only had one day to see the city. It was one of the highpoints of my entire vacation.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 10:47 AM

Oh, forgot - since you're over 18 you can drink at the Whisky Tour. You get a free sample when you first start the tour, and then after the tour, for I think 1 pound, you can sample what they have. Have a great time !
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 01:52 PM

Even if you do not like educational museums, I defy you to visit the Museum of Scotland and tell me you did not like it. I spent 2-3 hours there and it was not nearly enough.

There are plenty of restaurants and pubs on Rose St. in what is called the "new" town in addition to what you find along the Royal Mile.
Old Mar 8th, 2004, 02:45 PM
Ani

My husband and I spent the better part of one day in Edinburgh pub hopping the Royal Mile! I believe we visited the castle in the morning,then walked down to Holyrood Palace (don't miss it) then made our way back up the Mile, stopping for a pint at many historic pubs. At each one I filled out a couple of postcards, we sat by the fire, had a pint (yes, by the time we got to the top we were having a LOT of fun!) took some pictures...a GREAT way to spend an afternoon!