England (& Scotland) Itinerary

Feb 5th, 2008, 04:39 PM
Original Poster

England (& Scotland) Itinerary

I am attempting to finalize an itinerary that several posters helped me with a few months back. Any insight/advice/info on issues I may have overlooked would be appreciated. I would also be interested in advice on priority sites/activities in London, Edinburgh, & York. I will be traveling with my 13 year old son.
Thanks!

Arrive in London @ 9am
Night 1: London
Night 2: London
Will travel to Warwick in AM and visit Warwick Castle.
Night 3: Warwick
Will visit Kenilworth in AM and then take train to Oxford.
Night 4: Oxford
Will spend most of day in Oxford, but travel back to London to catch over-night train to Edinburgh (leaves @ 10pm).
Night 5: Sleeper Train
Night 6: Edinburgh
Night 7: Edinburgh
Have meeting at Edinburgh University in the AM - will leave for York as soon as finished (hopefully by noon).
Night 8: York
Night 9: York
Will leave York in late evening. We are staying that night and the next with a family affiliated with Huddersfield University.
Night 10: Huddersfield
Work Stuff All Day
Night 11: Huddersfield
Will leave as early as possible in AM - train to London
Night 12: London
Night 13: London
Night 14: London
Flight departs @10am

Thanks again!

Feb 5th, 2008, 04:54 PM

I remember you initial planning threads. Considering the constraints you had - you've done a really good job.
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:06 PM

I'm from Edinburgh and spent three years living in York, so I know both cities very well. Firstly, they are both excellent places to visit and there is plenty to see in both.

In Edinburgh I'd definitely go to the castle, which provides excellent views over the city (though is overpriced). I'd also suggest walking to the top of Arthur's Seat, which is hill close to the town centre. It's not a particularly challenging climb, but it's definitely worth it. There is lots of accommodation in Edinburgh, but I've always heard good things about The Scotsman Hotel (www.thescotsmanhotel.co.uk).

In York, the first thing I'd do would be to take a walk around the city's historic walls. This will give you a really good introduction to the city. I'd also recommend climbing to the top of the Minster. Other attractions that might appeal to a 13 year old are the National Railway Museum (www.nrm.org.uk) and the Yorvik Viking Centre (www.jorvik-viking-centre.co.uk). As a place to stay, I'd suggest Marmadukes Hotel (www.marmadukeshotels.co.uk).

Enjoy your trip!
Feb 5th, 2008, 05:20 PM
Original Poster

Thanks janisj! You helped me out a lot with this, and I feel like I can relax a bit knowing that _you_, who knows so much, thinks that it is okay!

And thanks James1982 for the very helpful suggestions on things to see/do!
Feb 6th, 2008, 09:14 PM

If you get another reply from me I apologize, but I'm not sure if my first one went through or not.

Anyways, I actually just went to London and Edinburgh last year for the first time so hopefully I can be of some help.

I know it's very stereotypically tourist, but my favorite thing I did I London was take the double decker bus tour. After spending half my trip in London underground riding the tube it was so nice to see the entire city and where in relation things were to one another. Loads of great picture opportunities as well. Included with our bus ticket was a boat trip up and down the Thames. I also suggest hopping on a boat that'll take you to Hampton Court Palace. The ride up is just as enjoyable as walking around the Palace. I didn't go to the London Dungeon, but your son may really enjoy it.

Edinburgh is the most amazing place I've been. I'm actually going back again this year. I stayed at Hotel Ibis and I loved it. I highly recommend it. It's may 30 seconds from the Royal Mile and it's situated pretty much in the middle of the Castle and the Palace. A Starbucks is 3 shops down. That's always a plus in my book! Right around the corner was the best restaurant we ate at called the Feeding Station I believe. We ate there twice it was so good (or rather edible compared to some of the other thing I was forced to eat. haha.) You have to do the Castle of course. Aside from the Castle the best thing there we did was take the tour of Mary King's Close. www.realmarykingsclose.com.

I know you are restricted on time in Edinburgh, but the second day we were there we took a Coach Tour through the countryside of Scotland up to Loch Ness and stopped at a Castle there. Went up to Inverness and back down to Edinburgh. It was phenomenal. It was absolutely the highlight of my entire trip.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!
Feb 7th, 2008, 04:39 AM

You are aware that Kenilworth Castle is a ruin? Most of it's still there but it's not like Warwick.

Kenilworth itself is a nice little town - and quite upmarket (Robert Plant lives there, which could be a good or bad thing depending on your taste)
Feb 7th, 2008, 10:52 AM

<<< Any insight/advice/info on issues I may have overlooked would be appreciated >>>

Child abandonment laws. Your 13yr old isn't legally old enough to be left alone
Feb 7th, 2008, 12:51 PM

Really? More nanny state policies, or nanny job creating policies?
Feb 8th, 2008, 10:14 AM

What age must one be to be legally left alone? I was babysitting other kids when I was 12...
Feb 9th, 2008, 02:44 AM

The police aren't interested in 13 year olds being alone. It's being left to fend for themselves that gets us interested (it counts as neglect and social services would get involved)
Feb 10th, 2008, 08:59 AM
Original Poster

My 13 year old will never be left alone . . .
He is joining me on the visit to Edinburgh University, and on the work day in Huddersfield he is going as a guest to school with the daughter of a colleague that is his age . . . Not sure why you thought he would be left alone.
Feb 10th, 2008, 09:24 AM

Yes, that did seem random, as my girls would say. It sounds like a wonderful trip, and he is a lucky kid.

If you take a London bus tour, board early so you can have seats in the front on top.

I bet he'd love the British Museum, too.

Feb 10th, 2008, 09:40 AM

"If you take a London bus tour, board early so you can have seats in the front on top."

The tours do continuous loops and folks are getting on and off at every stop - "board early" really doesn't apply unless you get on at the very beginning when the bus is just setting out for the day. So just sit upstairs. If you don't get the very front row, those folks will eventually leave and you can claim the seats. But since presumably you would also be getting off and back on during the course of your tour - just go upstairs and repeat the exercise.