Search

Edinburgh B&B's closet to city

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Edinburgh B&B's closet to city

Hi!

I'm considering several B&B's and was wondering if anybody knows which is the closest to the city/Edinburgh?
Also, are there any that are particularly great or especially recommended?

Colquhoun Guest House-5 Marchhall Rd
Turret Guest House-8 Kilmaurs Terrace
Dorstan House-7 Priestfield Road
Hotel Ceilidh-Donia-14 Marchhall Crescent
Belford Guest House-13 Blacket Avenue
Salisbury-Salisbury Road
Millfield B&B-12 marchhall Road

I think they're all a bus ride away but I wanted to stay at the one closest to the city sights.

Thanks,

gtrekker2003
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:12 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I only know where a couple of those streets are - but there are a couple of regular posters who live in Edinburgh so hopefully they will see your thread.

Having said that - you can look up any address on various sites such as mappy that will tell you exactly where the property is. Plus most B&Bs include a map on their websites . . . .
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:31 PM

Hi Trekker,

I've been compiling a list of B&B's in Edinburgh that look appealing to me from web photos.

I've gathered these names from about two different sites, the main criteria for me was price as my fellow travelers are extremely budget conscious and I am making sure that we stay in a castle during one of our 5 Highland days, but I like non 70's or 1980's looking places, or that remind me of my college days. Quaint and antique are fine with me as is modern style

I increased from 3.5 days to 5 days from Edinburgh to Glasgow through the Highlands. So the following list is based on price and what I find appealing based on the photos, so I selected about 10% of all of the websites that I saw. I have another list somewhere else, cannot find, but here goes, this is only K-Z as my other list is unfound. I believe that all are in the city center area except as noted.

You can google search a few and if they seem appealing to you then feel free to use the list of choices. I'll put my top rated ones at the top and quicknotes if any, remember price was my main criteria, I saw many other beautiful ones that were out of our price range (limited it to $75 per person, when a price range was listed, I used the average):

Mona's Guest House
MW
St. Andrew's
Star Villa (near Royal Mile and a good price!)

Menzies Guest House (GH)
St. Valery (5min from airport, near Royal Mile)
Kirkland's GH
Laurles GH
Sandig (1.5 miles from city)

Ravensdown
Southside (in University area)

Hope this helps!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:36 PM

Mademoiselle - just one note -- it is impossible to be "5 min from airport" and, "near Royal Mile". Just ain't possible . . . . . .

So you might want to re-check some of your info.
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:45 PM

I remember thinking wow, the airport is so close to the Royal Mile? I took the train into Edinburgh so have no idea where the airport is, but according to the website for the Guest House:

"With the guest house being only 5 miles from Edinburgh Airport, why not take a short taxi ride and enjoy a good night sleep in the heart of Edinburgh"

and

"The St Valery Guest House is within walking distance of Princes Street, Edinburgh Castle and all the main shopping and sight-seeing areas including the Royal Mile."

From the website it sounds like this place is the perfect location! Close to the airport and the Royal Mile, possibly eroneous but when I'm scanning this info, I've trusted what the website location says.

I just want a nice play to stay... for a good price that is, that's the goal!
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:46 PM

Forgot to post the website: http://www.stvalery.com/location.html
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM

5 miles is a WHOLE different thing than 5 mins - which is what you had posted.

Per the website St Valery is 5 mins from <u>Waverly Station</u>, not the airport. (which is a good thing BTW - that location is close in)
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, mademoiselle. I will enquire with some of them.

gtrekker2003
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:40 PM

And remember... a 'short walk' to those in the UK and Ireland is much different then in America
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:47 PM

I just re-read the title - yes, many B&amp;Bs are closets, and in the city
Old Apr 12th, 2007, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Typo. I meant closest, but I suppose 'closet' is applicable too.
Old Apr 13th, 2007, 09:15 AM

My error, in my notes which were limited to a few words, I had 5 min, the extra &quot;n&quot; was incorrect.

That is too funny about the closets, I've stayed in some pretty small rooms, in hotels that is too, but B&amp;Bs are nice and cozy. If you're not as comfy as you'd like, the more reason to get out and about, and just sleep there (just be sure to ask about hours of entry and such, B&amp;B's and hostels that is).

Once we were locked out of this alley type place on Las Ramblas in Barcelona. It was an alley but not in a bad neighborhood way, just these large gates facing Las Ramblas and we couldn't get back to our Youth Hostel. =-/ Ever since then I ask about hours.