Going to Edinburgh for 2 days

Jan 3rd, 2009, 06:48 PM
Original Poster

Going to Edinburgh for 2 days

I am taking my teenage daughter to Edinburgh for a couple of days in March. It has been 25 years since I last was there, and it still remains my favourite city. I now live in New York since emigrating from England 25 years ago.
Here's what I am trying to find out. What cool areas can I take her to, also can anyone recommend a hotel that will allow us to get around the city. Living in NYC we aren't scared of walking, getting wet or taking the bus.

She is a history and arts fan, so a trip to the Castle, Royal Mile and Holyrood will be on the agenda. However as a 19 year old she loves to shop and is definitely looking for something a little different from what you would find in your typical shopping mall, she is more Soho/ Lower East Side than midtown manhattan.

Also, can you recommend a couple of pubs to go to - that's more for me than her.

We are only there for a little less than two days, we arrive in the morning and leave the following evening.

Many thanks everyone.

Bob
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM

When we took our lads there we stayed at Univiersity housing right on the Royal Mile--worked out perfectly for us -- and maybe the young folks will have leads on good places to hang out. It was definitely central to the action and great for walking. Sorry I don't know the Uni schedule to know if housing is available now -- best of luck-- I love Edinburgh!!
Jan 3rd, 2009, 07:37 PM

Sorry, I meant available then, when you will be there. But work a look.
Jan 4th, 2009, 05:31 AM

http://www.edinburgh-royalmile.com/
this website will give you lots of info,don't know what type of accomodation or price you are looking at but 10Hill Place a fairly new boutique style hotel is getting a good name for itself,in the mid price range.
http://www.tenhillplace.com/
there are lots of aother places in all price ranges in the city ,from Hostels upto 5start luxury hotels.
A trip round the University buildings may be an idea too,lots of very interesting building with a very interesting history.
http://www.ed.ac.uk/studying/undergr...ng/self-guided
sorry can't help with the shopping i am a middle aged man with an aversion to shops.
lots of good pubs about and there are links to many on the website i have posred.
The World's End pub on the RoyalMile is great for food and the Guildford Arms bar in West Register street a favourite meeting place for myself and friends,the gallery resturant there also does pretty good food.
Plenty pubs about that provide live music to suit most tastes.
Jan 4th, 2009, 07:06 AM

bobby,

Just vicariously reading as Edinburgh is on my "must visit" list...

Have a great trip!

gruezi
Jan 4th, 2009, 06:01 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! I know we will have a fun time, the uni idea is good especially as I have a young son that wouldn't mind going to Univ of Edinburgh in a couple of years. I'll make sure that he watches trainspotting before he goes to keep him on the straight and narrow.

Keep the ideas coming they are great.
Bob
Jan 4th, 2009, 08:29 PM

There was some mystery/night tour of some kind going on -- maybe a Dr. Jekyll/Mr. Hyde tour? Anyway some cute young people were involved -- we noticed them right on the Royal Mile, the Castle end, which was near our Uni lodging -- also a pub very conveniently located close by. Also galleries, shops--I think you just can't go wrong with the location!
Jan 5th, 2009, 01:45 AM

I would go for a hotel in the Grassmarket. You can go cheap and cheerful with the Grassmarket Hotel or you can be more upmarket- but still mediumish- at either of the Apexes.

Victoria Street, and Grassmarket are cool places to shop, as is Rose Street, and Stockbridge. Pubs are everywhere but it's difficult to recommend, not knowing tastes et al.
Jan 7th, 2009, 06:40 PM
Original Poster

Again, thanks for the feedback everyone
Jan 7th, 2009, 10:08 PM

Cafe Royal (in a back lane opposite the Balmoral Hotel) is well worth a visit

You can google it - BUT I wouldn't as it would rather spoil the surprise
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:22 AM

I second Café Royal. The place consists of a pub and a restaurant. I prefer the pub over the restaurant - it is very beautiful and they serve fresh oysters!
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:36 AM

The Cafe Royal is next door to the Guildford I mentioned earlier,It has recently been refurbished and is looking very nice indeed,not eaten in there for a long time ,but it is certainly a very nice place for a drink.
Jan 8th, 2009, 12:40 AM

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...eroyalbar.html
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...dfordarms.html
these links will give you an idea of both places
the World's End in my opinion does the best Pub Fish & Chips in Edinburgh.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...worldsend.html
Jan 9th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Original Poster

Unglegus, I think I will have to sup a pint at all three. Thanks for all the ideas.

The hotels look really good, and whilst we will probably end up at one of the ones that have been mentioned, can anyone recommend a B&B ?

Again, thanks everyone.
PS we just booked our train travel up there so we are definitely on our way.
Jan 9th, 2009, 05:37 PM

I enjoyed a week at the Dene Guest House, http://www.deneguesthouse.com/, last April. Great breakfasts, friendly hosts, and excellent position for public transportation:

#23 and #27 stop just around the corner, going up and down Dundas St.

The #36 stops at Waverley Bridge (the train station) and coming from Waverley stops just around the corner on Dundas St. When you are headed to Waverley Bridge the stop is right across the street from the Dene's front door.
Jan 9th, 2009, 05:38 PM
DDA

Our daughter, a student in Scotland, enjoys going to a vintage shop in Grassmarket whenever we are in Edinburgh. I forget the name, but it is across the square from The Last Drop pub.
Jan 9th, 2009, 05:44 PM

We stayed at the SAS Radisson on the Royal Mile and found it to be very well situated and very adequate. If you contact Radisson reservations in the US, you can avail yourself of Auto Club and other discounts.

Notwithstanding the above, Sheila's recommend (Hi Sheila!) for a place to stay in Grassmarket is a good one, since you have a teenager with you and, in general, Grassmarket is a hipper area.

Pubs.. We really enjoyed some of them. I will join in the suggestion for Cafe Royal and particularly for bangers and mash, which was one wonderful dish.

We noticed several pubs, in Grassmarket but somehow did not have a chance to try. We did have a meal at the French restaurant and at the Italian (I must have my notes somewhere!), and found both restaurants to be quite good.

Had a drink at Bow Bar, which I think is on Rose Street. Very cool place.

If I find my notes, I will repost.

Anna Roz
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM

Just to add to a couple of posts.
the Vinyage clothes shop in the Graasmarket is Amstrongs,it is a bit of an Edinburgh Institution,they also have a branch in Clerk street.
The Bow bar is in west Bow just off the Grassmarket and a conyinuation of Victoria street which connect GeorveIV Bridge to the Grassmarket.
the Bow bar is one of if nnot the finest whisky bar in the city,well worth a vivit.
http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.u...de/bowbar.html
this link will give you a list of the edinburgh B&B's and Guset houses.
http://www.scottishaccommodationindex.com/edinburgh.php
Jan 9th, 2009, 10:57 PM

sorry ,my spelling went to blazes there,too early in the morning I think.
Jan 10th, 2009, 01:19 AM

The little French restaurant in the Grassmarket is Le Petit Paris. I can't think of an Italian except for a chain.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO