Hotel in Edinburgh near The Witchery

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 02:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hotel in Edinburgh near The Witchery

My family and I are going to The Witchery for a special birthday meal in July. I am torn between staying at The Witchery that night or trying another hotel in Edinburgh, to get to see more of the city. Are there any 4/5 star hotel within walking distance, or a short taxi ride away from The Witchery? Or is The Witchery too good an experience to pass up?

Many thanks

Angela
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 03:14 AM
Original Poster

On doing a little more research, I have noticed The Balmoral Hotel. Is this as good as it looks on its website? How close to THe Witchery is it?

Thanks again

Angela
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 03:23 AM

You could also look into The Caledonian. It's an Edinburgh institution, dating back to 19th century, yet upgraded with all the modern amenities. I had the pleasure of staying there on my birthday couple of weeks ago, and they upgraded me to a Caledonian Suite with a wonderful view of the Castle. It's located on Princess Street.
Can't help you with the Witchery or the Balmoral, sorry.
Have a wonderful stay in Edinburgh. It's a great place. I had a short stay, but still fell in love with the city!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 03:36 AM

I haven't stayed at eth Witchery so can't comment.

If you only go for seriously good, and in geographic order, I'd suggest, the Scotsman, the Balmoral and the Cally; if you want to compromise a bit then add in the Crowne Plaza and the Macdonald Hollyrood.
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 04:32 AM

Any of the good (some great) hotels already suggested are good choices. Central Edinburgh is a very compact area - They are all either walking distance to the witchery or within a short cab ride.

(BTW - the "Cally" Sheila mentions is the Caledonian. I only say this because I also always call it the Cally, and have confused folks who try to find it in guidebooks or websites)
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:08 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. So much useful information in such a short time! I am looking into The Balmoral, The Caledonian and The Scotsman. So far, I can't choose - they all look fabulous! I think I am leaning towards The Balmoral though.

Many thanks

Angela
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Also check out the Carlton Hotel which is at the corner of the High Street and North Bridge.