Facts on Germany. Can anyone help?

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 03:09 AM
Alfonse

Facts on Germany. Can anyone help?

Hello I am a college student in New York and I have a project to do this semester about Germany and German culture. I wish to do some research so perhaps some of you who live there or know about the country could help me. Here are some of the things I am trying to get straight:

1. Is Germany the largest, most densely populated and richest country in Europe?
2. Who wrote the German national anthem?
3. What is Germany's national dish?
4. What is Germany's national drink?
5. Is it really true that Adolf Hitler was in fact not actually German but Australian?
6. It seems there are large chunks of Germany which are now in Poland and Russia?? Where did the Germans that lived there go then?
7. Where does the Kaiser and his descendants live these days?
8. Are all festive occasions (and national vacations) celebrated by wearing leather shorts and slapping ones knees? Are tourists also expected to do this to fit in?
9. Is it a much less rich country than the US? Do most people have cars less than five years old? Do many people have refrigerators? dishwashers? DVDs etc?

Thank you for any help you can provide. My address is : [email protected]
Thanks

Alfonse O'Connel

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 03:20 AM
Paige

Sounds like you need a German to answer most of your questions, but
- Hitler was from Austria, not Australia.
- Beer MUST be the national drink!
- During festive occasions in Bavaria, people really do wear lederhosen (leather shorts/pants) and other traditional clothes and tourists can if they want.
- When we lived in the states we had 2 cars, 3 bedroom house, dishwasher and all the other stuff. We live in Germany now and don't have cars or a dishwasher and live in a 2 bedroom apartment for about twice what our house payment in the states was.
- The 'Germans' that lived in what's now Poland and Russia were probably Poles and Russians.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 04:43 AM
Jochen

Alfonse,

I'll try to answer your questions, although some of them look somewhat strange to me.

1. Russia is larger than Germany both by area and by population. It is only partly in Europe, though. San Marino, the Vatican state or Monaco are more densely populated than any larger country in Europe. I think The Netherlands are the more densely populated than Germany as well. Switzerland, Luxemburg and Norway are probably richer than Germany.

2. The text was written by Hoffmann von Fallersleben, and the music is adopted from Haydn's 'Kaiserquartett'.

3. Can't give a general answer, depends on the region.

4. Same as 3. Beer is certainly very popular.

5. Austrian.

6. They were expelled and had to go to other parts of Germany.

7. The Kaiser emigrated to The Netherlands in 1918 and died there around 1940. Don't know about his descendants.

8. This happens only during some folk festivals in Bavaria. To people from Northern Germany ( like me ) this looks as strange as it might look for you.

9. As far as I know the average incomes in the USA and in Germany are comparable. However, the average US employee has to work significantly longer than his German colleague. It is difficult to say if the US are richer than Germany. Do you define richness in terms of material goods only, are do you take social conditions into account as well ?`But yes, we do have cars, refrigerators and things like this.

Regards, Jochen

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 04:53 AM
harzer

As a college student I think you should be able to research the answers to most of these questions on the Net or in your college library.

However I will give you a little help with three of them.

Germany's population is around 80 million, but this could well be exceeded by the population of European Russia. It is not nearly as densely populated as say Holland for example. It is smaller in area than France, and probably than European Russia too. How do you calculate wealth? Per capita income? Switzerland would be wealthier. GDP? Maybe it is Germany then. Unemployment rate? Germany comes out rather poorly on this measure.

The German national anthem has music composed by Josef Haydn in 1797, and coming from one of his many string quartets, with a text composed by Heinrich von Fallersleben in 1841.

Your 'large chunks' of Germany are the former West Prussia (now Poland), East Prussia (Poland and Russia or Belorus), Pommerania, Lower Silesia and Upper Silesia (Poland) and Sudetenland (Czech Republic). They formerly had majority populations of ethnic Germans, who either stayed put through thick and thin, lost their lives in war or later reprisals, escaped to the west, or were repatriated in the years after the Second World War under programmes of ethnic cleansing.

Apart from these former German provinces and border territories there have always been enclaves with significant numbers of German speaking people in Hungary, Rumania, the former Soviet Union, Italy, and the former Yugoslavia, as well as in the Baltic States. In fact the story of the Pied Piper of Hamelin is supposed to have its basis in a real-life German migration to Transylvania in Romania.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 05:12 AM
hohum

Shame! The responses he got on the Lonelyplanet site are a lot funnier than the ones here...

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 05:26 AM
Jim

Hitler was austrian not australian. austria is a country which borders germany abd they speak german there too.
that said I'm sure many that they would insist that there is a difference between austrian and german culture etc but I cannot see any.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 06:19 AM
Janice

Actually sausages with the pickled cabbge was a very popular dish when i visited Cologne with my husband a few years ago.

Old Oct 13th, 2000, 12:03 PM
nickie

To Harzer : that is interesting! Could you tell me more about the Pied Piper, or direct me to a source for your information? Thanks!
Alfonse, re questions 1 and 3)it might be as important for you to realize that although Germany is not very big, there is a difference between the industrial powerhouse of the north and the more laid back South. Just as in the United States, there is a different in the food between the two.That is simplistic, but hope it gives you another avenue for your research.

Old Jun 24th, 2003, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your questions do not belong to this forum, why don't you look up something in the Internet yourself?
How old are you? 12?
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:27 AM

Frightening to think that he might have actually gotten a college degree by now!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:33 AM

I detect a troll. What?
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 06:46 AM

Do your own homework!
Old Jun 24th, 2003, 07:00 AM
Bootman4U

A fabulous troll..if for no other erason than some of the reactions it brought forward...the questions probably aren't any worse than some of the so-called "travel-related" ones we see here such as , "Will I use a pool at the hotel?" (I don't know..will you?) or the "compare and contrast" "assignments" we are routinely offered.
When he does get his degree let's hope he ends up gainfully employed and doesn't have as much free time as the rest of us during the workday to surf here! Ah, youth.....