Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Why Germany is a country with a relativaely unpopular?

Old Feb 7th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Why European travel will first think of Spain Italy France England?Why Germany is a country with a relativaely unpopular, even as the Holland or Switzerland countries like hot?Because less attraction, is not beautiful or less developed?
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 07:42 AM

Didn't you already ask this question the other day?
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 07:51 AM

It was plenty odd the first time.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 08:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"Second verse, same as the first . . .
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 08:13 AM

I think someone is practicing their English. I wasn't aware that Germany was unpopular.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 08:33 AM

The original post/thread was removed by the editors. I don't think it's off topic, but some of the responses were not exactly classy.....
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 09:00 AM

But, the responses were truthful. Horrors !! The truth !!!!!!
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 09:18 AM

I can see what you are saying though. Many people who have never visited Europe would not think of Germany as their first choice destination. I think it may not have the initial allure that some of the other countries have, however it is not undeserving of attention. We took our 4 children to Germany and Austria for three weeks one summer, and it was amazing. We have been back to Europe since, but not to Germany. I would love to visit again! I think Germany, and especially the Bavarian area has so much to offer. One thing I hope to do in the future is see the Passion Play at Oberammergau! It's kind of a bucket list thing.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 01:09 PM

Received 42 Likes on 2 Posts
It was deleted? I didn't write anything rude, nasty or harsh. I'll take a guess, deleted for which country and/or city is the rudest?

As I said in my prior post. I did not visit Germany/Bavaria until after visiting countries/cities that are mostly viewed as popular. I think most people do this and as someone else wrote, Germany doesn't have the iconic buildings and sights that are shown all over the place. It doesn't make Germany less interesting, beautiful or fun it's just a fact. I posted on here a month or so ago asking about Frankfurt and mostly guided toward Berlin. I've scrapped it all together and now going to Vienna from another not so famous country, Lithuania, so I can squeeze in Hungary and Slovakia. I will make it to Berlin some other time.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 01:40 PM

I was born and lived in Europe . The first cities I wanted to see were Paris, London and Amsterdam,
followed by Rome and other places in Italy.
Later, coming from North America, changing flights in Frankfurt was as far as it went.
Germany was not on "the radar" until five summers ago when I " discovered" Berlin.
I have gone back every year since.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 02:03 PM

Sort of strange. I love Germany. My husband was stationed there and we miss it so much. Great people, food, hiking, shopping and views. We have been back several times and will continue to visit. I won't dare mention rude people if no one else does.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 02:16 PM

Oh dear, Danon. Are you addicted to those very naughty clubs in Berlin ? Just like Weimar days. After reading the article in The Telegraph about them, we suggested that our granddaughter not go there for her year abroad. Happily her mother nixed it.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 02:46 PM

LOL Bedar, have not been yet, but hope to visit them his summer!

Berlin has many great museums and galleries, excellent public transit, inexpensive hotels, good shopping,
AND great beer and cakes.

I travel alone in the summer so it is a perfect location for me.
I usually combine stay in Berlin with another European city( Paris, Prague...etc) .
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 09:09 PM

Yes the monitors removed a post that I lost family during WWII. I guess the truth is inflammatory or they have 12 years old as censors, who know nothing about happened before last Thursday.
Old Feb 7th, 2014, 11:11 PM

Interesting that the NBC commentators at the opening ceremony of the Olympics made us aware that part of it was about WWII which the Russians don't want us to forget. They lost 20 million people in that war.
Old Feb 8th, 2014, 03:31 AM

Bedar.. I guess your comment was tongue-in-cheek but no worries, if your granddaughter had been a minor, she would not have been able to get one foot into those "naughty clubs". These establishments as well as ordinary "party clubs" are strictly 18+
Otherwise, Berlin is a major university city with appr. 150,000 students living there (and we do not have a dorm system here, so everyone is out on their own or share appartments).
I went to uni in Berlin in the REAL heydays of "naughty clubs" in the early 1990s.. Now THAT were some crazy times... fortunately, my mom never was too curious...