Search

Edinburgh B&B's

Search this Thread

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 03:34 PM
Ani

Edinburgh B&B's

Hi...I have done a search for recommendations, but got tired of scanning through the posts for B&B's specifically. Besides, I for one am always happy to re-recommend places to stay as many times as there are posts. SO...looking for historic B&B or small hotel in Edi-not necessarily next to Royal Mile, maybe 10 minutes walk would be great...I've been told there is rugby happening for the W/E we are there so I'm looking to book soon. Thank you!

Old Sep 3rd, 2002, 05:50 PM
Georgine

Ani,<BR><BR>I don't know if this will be of interest to you, but we stayed at the Elmview.<BR><BR>It is a Georgian Townhouse across the street from the Bruntsfield Links. It is about a 15 minute walk to the top of the Royal Mile.(The walk back is only about 10 minutes--mostly downhill.) The city bus, about 1 block from the B&B, makes for a quick trip to the city center. The prorietor always leaves some golf clubs in the umbrella stand. You can go out and hit a few balls at the links, if you are so inclined.<BR><BR>It has only three bedrooms (we stayed in #3). The web site shows the rooms--and they are even more luxurious in person than they look on the web. Our bathroom was done in green marble with a separate deep tub and shower stall, along with a bidet.<BR><BR>Breakfast was a very refined affair with the best of crystal and china---and a great oppurtunity to meet and chat with the guests in the other two rooms.<BR><BR>It is listed on the Smoothound.co.uk site.<BR>Breakfast was a

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Mary

We recently stayed at Sherwood Guest House. It is not walking distance, but was a short bus ride into the town center. It was a refurbished Georgian villa, and had a nice family room (we had 2 kids with us). It had extras like a small refrigerator in the room. Breakfast was great and our hosts friendly. The whole place was nonsmoking. Price was reasonable. I would definitely stay there again! www.sherwood-edinburgh.com. Phone +44 131 6671200.<BR>Mary

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 04:34 AM
Keith

Can't help with details about the B&Bs, but I know the areas described well! The Bruntsfield area has a number of B&B around where the Elmview is, a number of which have been awarded 4 star ratings by the AA or RAC (so they're pretty good.) Bruntsfield is generally a pretty quiet area, with some interesting shops on Bruntsfield Road, and is an easy walk into the town centre.<BR><BR>The Sherwood is on Minto Street, which is a continuation of South Clerk Street and Nicolson Street as it heads out to the City Bypass. It's probably a bit further away from the centre, but being a main road there are a number of buses which pass by heading directly to Princes Street. The area is again mainly residential, and far enough away from the student areas around Nicolson St and South Clerk St to not cause a problem.<BR><BR>You don't say which weekend you're talking about or when you're coming. If it's this side of Christmas, then rugby-wise it's probably OK - this is when Scotland usually play friendlies and the crowds aren't that big. However, if it's in Feb/March next year then you could be into Six Nations time, and that might make booking difficult. Don't worry about being in Edinburgh around that time - you could even try to join in the atmosphere by getting in to a pub to watch the game!

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:30 AM
Ani

Thanks for the replies so far! Keith-we are arriving in Edi on March 27th...I was told that weekend (29th) will be rugby-although I think we are leaving on Saturday.

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:42 AM
Jenny

Hi,<BR><BR>That's the weekend of the Scotland v Italy match, so it won't be as busy as if we were playing Ireland or Wales.... Still, will probably be busy enough to make sure to book ahead. <BR><BR>Sorry - can't really help you with B&B's - I've never needed to stay in one!<BR><BR>Jenny