Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Biarritz, Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Toulouse, Carcassonne, Sarlat, Albi and nearby placaes

Search

Biarritz, Bordeaux, La Rochelle, Toulouse, Carcassonne, Sarlat, Albi and nearby placaes

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 08:59 AM
Jim

I'm looking for hotel, restaurant, and "must do," suggestions for these places which we will visit in October.

Old Aug 17th, 2002, 01:26 PM
ttt

to the top<BR>

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 05:43 PM
wendy

If there is ANY chance you can get to the Hotel Terminus in Cahors, you won't regret it, it was the best meal I've ever had in my life...<BR><BR>

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:32 PM
Fran

We went to La Rochelle and Bourdeaux summer of 2001. We stayed in a wonderful chateau just outside of St. Emilion which is a fabulous little village in Bourdeaux. We also had a great meal in a hotel/restaurant on an outdoor terrace right inside of St. Emilion. This was a higlight of our trip. I'm sorry I don't have these names available right now but I will look them up for you if you email me. As I recall all of these suggestions were in the Frommer's France book.., Unfortunately I left most of the book behind in a Paris hotel this year because I was tired of carrying the extra weight. <BR><BR>La Rochelle is okay. We stayed in a nice hotel right on the waterfront...about 10 or 15 minutes walk to the town.

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:32 PM
mills

Planning almost the same trip in October, BUT cannot find a good price from Chicago to Biarritz or preferably Bordeaux. How did you find your fare?

Old Aug 19th, 2002, 06:44 PM
StCirq

You're asking for a book's worth of information, so my first suggestion would be to invest in Cadogan's guide to the Dordogne, Lot & Bordeaux.<BR><BR>In Bordeaux we like the H&ocirc;tel Etche-Ona, a 3* two blocks from the rue Ste-Cath&eacute;rine pedestrian shopping area. I have a file on Bordeaux with more information. If you'd like it, e-mail me.<BR><BR>Biarritz - I say bag it and drive the extra 14 miles to St-Jean-de-Luz.<BR><BR>La Rochelle - a wonderful town with loads of good architecture and some eclectic museums. We've enjoyed the H&ocirc;tel La Marine and the H&ocirc;tel de l'Oc&eacute;an. Be sure to drive out to St-Martin on the Ile de R&eacute; and buy the best sea salt in the world.<BR><BR>Toulouse - sorry, I don't like this city one bit.<BR><BR>Carcassonne - Never stayed overnight here but have enjoyed visiting several times. It really is the ultimate in restored walled cities, though it has that Mont-St-Michel tourist appeal that makes it so crowded in the high season.<BR><BR>Sarlat - don't stay IN the city; stay out in one of the numerous lovely hotels/inns/B&Bs/ch&acirc;teaux in the area - e-mail me if you want details.<BR><BR>Albi - I love this town! There are no knowck-your-socks off hotels, but the George V and the Vieil Alby are both good - there's also a stylish Mercure Albi Bastides. Be sure to have lunch or dinner at the Auberge du Pont Vieux or Le Lautrec.<BR><BR>I couldn't agree more about Le Terminus in Cahors - one of the best restaurants in the entire southwest of France.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:03 PM
Lori

A couple of suggestions:<BR><BR>Bordeaux--<BR>Don't stay in the city, stay out in the country. Two wonderful hotels are: <BR><BR>-Chateau Cordellian Bages in Pauillac <BR>-Les Sources de Caudalie in Martillac<BR><BR>Both are affiliated with wineries next door and can arrange tours/tastings, etc. Both have excellent restaurants. Caudalie also has one of the best spas I've ever been to. During the harvest, they offer special harvest treatments.<BR><BR>Since you'll be so close, consider a day trip down to Sauternes. When we were there last November, the fall foliage was lovely. I'm sure it would also be beautiful in October.<BR><BR>Carcassone:<BR>If you can afford it, stay at Hotel de la Cite inside the old city. Its restaurant, La Barbican, is very nice. Arrive around dusk and walk around the ramparts at night when all the tourists are gone. Magical.

Old Aug 20th, 2002, 03:05 PM
Lori

To mills--<BR><BR>Try flying into Paris and taking the TGV to Bordeaux. Even first class, it was cheaper than the flight and the train gets there before the plane does due to our connection times, etc.<BR><BR>Lori

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 04:50 PM
MC

This summer I spent 2 nights in Carcassonne: Hotel Montmorency, it's a few steps outside the city wall. I loved the location.<BR>-I had a guided visit of the castle,<BR>-visited the city ans the St-NAzaire Cathedral<BR>-went to see the "Gouffre de Cabrespine" , there is "stalactites and stalagmites" (about 15-20 minutes by car in the north of Carcassonne)<BR>-I didn't have time to see the hawks show nearby or go in tbe Bastide St-Louis.<BR>It was a very nice experience.<BR>Bon voyage !<BR>

Old Aug 22nd, 2002, 07:12 PM
Ron

Albi is one of our favorite towns, and we like to stay at the Hostellerie du Grand Saint-Antoine. The hotel is perfectly located and has a good restaurant.

Old Aug 31st, 2002, 10:13 PM
Robert

I second StCirq's suggestion. The best Hotel in Bordeaux (City) is probably the Etche Ona, with a very nice and knowlegable staff. I took her suggestion and stayed in St. Jean de Luz, and could not have been happier. I would definetly skip Biarritz, too large and impersonal. If StCirq is reading this- Thank you for the suggestions!

Old Sep 2nd, 2002, 06:00 AM
renie

topping

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:03 AM
Paule

topping

Old Sep 4th, 2002, 07:54 AM
Wayne

Albi is a lovely city, and you will enjoy the town and scenery as well as the museums. But for a little side trip you might go to the hill town of Cordes, 15 miles northwest of Albi. I found it to be utterly charming. And if you stay overnight, the place to be is the hotel Grand Ecuyer, perched on the hillside with wonderful views. It also has an incredibly good restaurant if you just want to go there for dinner. But reserve ahead if you do.