Reload this Page >

Haymarket area in Edinburgh

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 03:51 PM
Ani

Is this a good area to stay in Edinburgh?

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 04:01 PM
Ani

OK let me rephrase this question. I'm looking at a B&B in Haymarket. What kind of an area is this? Also..what's around-restaurants, pubs, etc...thanks!

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 05:31 PM
s.fowler

It's in "Old Town" -- which is to say teh older part Of Edinburgh. Depending on which street and the quality of teh B&B -- I'd say no problem

Old Sep 12th, 2002, 11:22 PM
Sheila

Mm; not quite, Sally...<BR><BR>It's on te edge of the New Town and that is likely to be where your B&B is. It's 20 minutes walk from the west end of Princes Street, and 10 from the galleries above the Dean Water.<BR><BR>I like the pubs, like Ryries and the Haymarket, but they're not touristy; they're for locals and could be a bit downmarket for your tastes (then again, not?). There are a number of OK places to eat, but nowhere to write home about.<BR><BR>The area is essentially commercial and there's nothing wrong with it. (Am I damning with faint praise)

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 01:29 AM
Keith

Tend to agree with Sheila on this - not a bad area, but probably not the most touristy. It has come up in the world in the last few years though, with offices appearing especially just down the road near the conference centre.<BR><BR>IMO, it's probably OK to stay there but you won't find much in the way of restaurants - though some of the pubs, like the Haymarket and the Caledonian next to the station are OK (West End Oyster Bar is long gone, unfortunately...) It's only a couple of minutes by taxi from the centre, though, and maybe 10 - 20 minutes walk from Princes Street.<BR><BR>If you want to be in a more central area, then try looking in the New Town (especially around Queen Street and north of there - sorry, can't recommend anywhere as I stay with relatives in Edinburgh!) Alternatively, another option is Bruntsfield or Newington - about the same distance from Princes St as Haymarket but there's more pubs, restaurants etc in that area.

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:00 AM
Ani

Thanks for the replies. I have been doing quite a bit of looking-trying to find the right area-etc...I have booked The Bank Hotel for the first 2 nights b/c of its central location but am have read many good reviews of Lynedoch place which is near Queensferry just before the Dean bridge. Any thoughts? We are also coming back to Edi at the end of our trip and wanted to stay away from the centre and take a bus. I've booked A-Haven guest house-which is only about 1 mile outside of centre-I think north of town-but have been told there are not many restaurants within 10 minute walk..any suggerstions here? thanks!

Old Sep 13th, 2002, 08:27 AM
Kristen

Have you considered any self-catering flats? We stayed in one in 2001 and loved it. Fabulous location right off the Royal Mile, cheap, and great apartment - huge, clean, and comfy. We walked *everywhere* - restaurants, pubs, sites...excellent location. We stayed at 7 St Marys - try http://www.aboutscotland.com/edin/7stmarys.html or if you want a complete list of apartments, look at http://www.aboutscotland.com/edin/rentals.html<BR><BR>Have fun!

Old Sep 14th, 2002, 03:40 AM
Inky

Sally, ever been to Scotland?