Edinburgh and Glasgow hotel

Feb 24th, 2007, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Edinburgh and Glasgow hotel

My husband and I have 3 nights in Edinburgh and 2 nights in Glasgow in June (as part of a 2 week trip). I am lucky to have both Marriott and Hilton points and would like to use them. Can anyone recommend one hotel over the others in each city? Location is probably the main consideration. We want to stay in the city, see the sights and are happy to walk and explore and use public transportation.
The choices are:
In Glasgow - Hilton Glasgow Grosvenor on Great Western Rd., Hilton Glasgow Hotel at 1 WIlliam St. and Glasgow Marriott Hotel at 500 Argyle St.
In Edinburgh - Caledonian Hilton on Princes St., or Hilton Edinburgh Grosvenor on Grosvenor St.
Thanks for your help
Feb 24th, 2007, 03:56 PM

I stayed at the Glasgow Marriott a few years ago that is near the 'down town' area and it's a nice hotel with a simple walk to the local shops and restaurants. I've also stayed at the Caledonian, which is quite near Edinburgh castle (nice old hotel). Take a taxi up to the castle and walk DOWN the Royal Mile to see all the sites. Don't forget to visit the camera obscura (on the left) and a funky ride into the Whisky museum (on the right).
Feb 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM

I've stayed in both the Hiltons in Edinburgh. Caledonian wins hands down. At the time I just was a silver awards member and they upgraded me to a top floor room with a bathtub bigger than some pools. They left strawberries and chocolates at turndown. The bath products were divine.

The Caledonian is better located although the Grosvner is not bad, especially if you want to catch a train at Haymarket. If you fly in you can take the airport shuttle to the Caledonian its first stop in town is right at the Caley.

The staff at the Caley is tops. I truely felt that I was in a world class hotel. The Grovsner was like most business class hotels that I stay in.
Feb 24th, 2007, 07:09 PM

I forgot to say that my room at the Grosvenor smelled like urine. It was only one night and I stayed there because it was across the street from the train station & I was carrying my bags by myself.
Feb 25th, 2007, 02:44 AM

If it were me, it'd be the Cally and the Grosvenor
Feb 25th, 2007, 07:58 AM

Can only comment on the Caledonian. We did a 3 week trip last June in Scotland/England/Ireland using Hilton points as much as possible. The Caledonian was one of the nicest we stayed in, and had by far the biggest rooms. We found it perfectly situated at the end of Princes Street Gardens for exploring Edinburgh on foot.
Feb 25th, 2007, 03:54 PM

After waiting 24 hours after my post I think I was hasty in presenting the Grovsner in a poor light. I didn't get to my room until 11 p.m. and didn't ask anyone to remedy the smell. I'm sure it was a once in a long while occurance for them.

But my point was the Caledonian is a nicer hotel. It is hard to use HHonors points during June. Make your reservation as soon as you can. You can always cancel and get your points back if you change your mind.

In re-reading your post, you are concerned with location. In some ways the Caledonian is ideal. Just around the corner at Shandon Place you can get a bus pass or rider cards. They have maps and are quite helpful. The Caledonian is across the street from the intersection of most North/South and East/West routes. There is a stop for the hop on hop off tourist loop across the street.
Feb 26th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for your comments. I was able to get in the Caledonian with points. We're looking forward to it. Now I just need to plan the rest of the trip. I'll ask for your advice after I've done some research.
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:50 AM

FWIW Sean Connery always stays at the Caley, on the rare occasions he honours us with his presence. It will be nice.

And it's Shandwick Place just round the corner - Shandon is a couple of miles out.