Italian Itinarary - need suggestions

Feb 21st, 2007, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Italian Itinarary - need suggestions

My first ever post so am hoping for experienced help. A girlfriend and I will be traveling to Italy in July. We are planning on three weeks and would like to see it "all". The plan was to spend one week in the north, central and south and daytrip from each home base. My question is what would you recommend for home bases? Or would you suggest just starting at one end and traveling every 2 or 3 days?
Feb 21st, 2007, 05:23 AM

Have you really though about the specific cities you want to visit? My suggestion is to get a couple of guidebooks, map and travel videos and start writing down cities that appeal to you. A lot of people start with the "big 3" Venice, Florence and Rome and do side trips from each of those places. A really good map is key though so you can see the layout of the country. Hopefully you'll be traveling by train..it's very efficient and can be cheap.

Feb 21st, 2007, 02:30 PM

ttt
Feb 21st, 2007, 03:23 PM

Hi Tina,

I wouldn't say I can offer experienced help, but from my own travels and research, one week in each region seems doable.

In a week, I did Rome, Florence and Cinque Terre (I would recommend about 2 days for each, maybe 3 for Rome), and the travelling distance is not far between them, but too far to do a comfortable day trip from one site. I'd start in Rome, head north to Florence. By the time you finish in Cinque Terre, it will be a welcome rest! One of the most beautiful places I've ever been.

Naples/Pompeii/Amalfi Coast is pretty concentrated, so day trips from a central base would be possible there. Haven't been there, but am planning a future trip to this region, so I've been reading a lot about it!

Don't know much about the north (Venice, Ravenna, are the highlights, I believe).

Hope this helps...

Hope this helps.
Feb 22nd, 2007, 06:19 AM
ira

Hi T,

It takes about 6 mos (so I've been told) to see all of Italy.

For 3 weeks, I suggest
flying into Venice - 3 nights,
train to Florence - 4 nights
daytrip to Siena, daytrip to Bologna
train to Rome - 5 nights
daytrip to Orvieto
train to Naples - 2 nights
train and bus to Positano - 5 nights
return to Naples - 1 night
Fly home.

Also see Helpful Information: Italy 2
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34568596

Enjoy your visit.

Feb 24th, 2007, 12:09 PM

It takes more than 6 months...I've been here 42 years and still have lots to see ...it depends how you want to see it- in a flash or in depth.
Feb 24th, 2007, 01:32 PM

We took our 1st trip to Italy in 2001 with friends who go all the time. We too had 3 weeks and barely saw Northern Italy. You cannot do it all and do it justice.

Here is what we did as first timers and felt we got a good "feel." Last year we spent 10 days in Sicily.

We landed in Milan and spent 2 nights
Lake Garda for 1 night
Venice for 2 nights
Vincenza for 1 night
Spoleto for 2 nights (with a day trips to Bevangna and Norcia)
Rome for 3 nights
Orvieto for 2 nights
Chianti in Castellana (Tuscany)for 2 nights
Santa Margarite (Italian Riviera)for 2 nights
Lake Orta for 2 nights and to savor the last mnoments
Then fly home

As you can see, we did not even see Flroence, Pisa or other hots spots in BNorthern Italy yet we saw Rome, Venice, Tuscany, the riviera and Umbria

I'd rethink what "see it all" means and leave something to come back for. For example, in 2001 we saw the Sistine Chapel and Vatican Museum but saved St. Peters and the Villa Borgese for a 2nd trip to Rome which we did in 2005.

I keep wanting to go back for more.
We did it all by car and it was a blast.

Save Naples for your next south of Rome trip.

here is a link of photos of that trip

http://giltrips.dell.shutterfly.com/...6143d6540&pg=2
Feb 24th, 2007, 02:29 PM

Hi Tina,

My best recommendation would be to give yourself a nice mix of cities and countryside. Don't do more than 3, 1 nt stays (1 per week). You can do 3 home bases, but I think you would do better to move around just a little bit more.

What are your main interests? Food and wine, history, scenery, Roman ruins, architecture, Michelangelo???

Think about WHY you want to visit Italy, let us know, and we can give you some great advice.
Feb 27th, 2007, 04:05 AM
Original Poster

Great suggestions from everyone. I guess I really do need to narrow it down a bit. The "see it all" comment was in jest. I spent a week in Vienna last year planning to see Prague and Budapest but only made it out of the city for a day - just too much to see!
I definitely want to see Rome but we both love to hike and so the Cinque Terre sounds great. I don't want to be so frantic that we feel like we need a vacation when we get home. I love the beach and relaxing. Do you know of any small towns that have good beaches, great food/wine and inexpensive accomodations? Thanks for your help and I will continue to ask for assistance. TL